Honda Twins banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at my K1 frame number and please help me on this one. If you count the 3 digits I've blured, doesn't it look like somebody has punched a 1 before and after the original number? These ones looks to my eyes to be larger than the rest.

[attachment=0:3eejkove]SSA52582-1024.jpg[/attachment:3eejkove]

Attachments

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Re: Manipulated frame number?

I have to agree with you there, but I dont know if its normal or not

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
"Adding" a #1 before and after was sometimes done to indicate a "reclaimed/restored/rebuilt" bike that had been certified as "totalled" (wrecked beyond reasonable repair) such as a "bent frame" or when the repair cost would exceed 80% of the replacement cost.....You may NOT be able to obtain a "clear title", or the new ownership papers will specify it as reconstructed ("rebuilt from a wreck") instead of as a Honda (as the manufacturer)....This is mostly to protect any future buyers...Here it would have to be recertified as "roadworthy".....

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I'm no expert, but there seems to be a lot of variation in non-US models (which I believe yours is).
The US models seem to be pretty standardized regarding features and serial numbers.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
66Sprint said:
"Adding" a #1 before and after was sometimes done to indicate a "reclaimed/restored/rebuilt" bike that had been certified as "totalled" (wrecked beyond reasonable repair) such as a "bent frame" or when the repair cost would exceed 80% of the replacement cost.....You may NOT be able to obtain a "clear title", or the new ownership papers will specify it as reconstructed ("rebuilt from a wreck") instead of as a Honda (as the manufacturer)....This is mostly to protect any future buyers...Here it would have to be recertified as "roadworthy".....
Sounds like a possible explanation Steve, as my frame was slightly bent. I have the title and the bike (frame) is already registered so it's just me beeing picky as I want the frame number to be written correct. It's an early K1 frame (in the 4000) and I don't want it to look like a 40001 on the title. I have contacted the authorities to see if it's possible to correct this.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Yes I remember the pictures of the railway line being used in a really different and innovative way and not having to pay for it either. Good one

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Mate, blast it, fill the "1's" with metallic putty sand smooth, paint and no one will be the wiser. It is definitely not a Honda stamping and most likely locally done.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Hej Ronny
I guess if its there its there.
If you have title for the frame, that, appart from not having a standard Honda frame number, what would be any other issues with that frame number. Im thinking that after all, its likley that you will be the only person that knows about it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts