Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I picked up a 1974 Honda CB200 a couple weeks ago. I've been working through some recommended maintenance, replacing bulbs/switches, and riding it ever since.
The bike was starting and running almost without exception until yesterday. Plugs only have about 60 miles on them. Yesterday I pulled off the right crank case cover and checked out/cleaned the oil filters, refilled the oil, loosened and re tightened the cam chain tensioner bolt, adjusted the point gap from .011" to .014", and set the timing with a test light. After all of this, I have no spark, so far as I can tell. I've checked by opening the points manually with the electrics on, and by sticking another plug into the boot and grounding it. I read 12.9V across the battery before the last attempt (12.09V before trickle charge). I have also tried to bump start at about 10mph. I'm looking for any advice as to what I may have changed to make this happen.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Handlebar kill switch ?

You have a wiring diagram ?

What voltage at points when ign is on and points are open ?

Get some red neon spark plug caps that will "flash" when ht goes thru them, an in expensive good visual ht indication, that will work on other bikes as well.

Picture of points area please.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
If the bike ran fine till you changed the points Gap and set timing I would think to start there and see what changed. Take your meter and check the positive side of the coil. Have power to the coil? Then check Neg side to points . If power to points I would think the problem is in the points or timing.

Just my thoughts.

Bill

·
Registered
555 Posts
Not sure if this is an issue with the 200s like it is on the 350s/360s, but make sure your points aren’t grounding to the points cover. Does it spark with the points cover off?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for information,
I do have a wiring diagram, and I'll be doing more electrical troubleshooting and working back through the point-gap/ ignition timing tomorrow. I haven't taken any readings on or around the coil yet.
I'm picking up a new battery tomorrow seeing as I've run into a few problems with it prior to my current ignition problem.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Occam's razor: The most likely explanation tends to be the correct explanation.

If it ran before you adjusted point gap and timing I would start there. The likelihood of developing a wiring issue, kill switch problem, or coil failure between the time you started adjusting the points and the time you finished adjusting points is far less than the likelihood that you were perhaps not on the Firing mark on your stater for the corresponding set of points (remember that there is a stater mark for TDC and one for the firing point for each cylinder/point-set.

Good luck!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Double check the assembly of the insulating washers at the stationary end of the points spring. Get these in the wrong order and the spring could be grounded so points opening in vain.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Fuse or points. Always start with the last place you were.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Occam's razor: The most likely explanation tends to be the correct explanation.

If it ran before you adjusted point gap and timing I would start there. The likelihood of developing a wiring issue, kill switch problem, or coil failure between the time you started adjusting the points and the time you finished adjusting points is far less than the likelihood that you were perhaps not on the Firing mark on your stater for the corresponding set of points (remember that there is a stater mark for TDC and one for the firing point for each cylinder/point-set.

Good luck!
In most cases I'd totally agree, but..... electrical issues are different , 1.accidentally knocking the kill switch from run to stop and then spending an hour trying to trouble shoot ( who hasn't done that ), 2.if the points are grounding the fuse may blow and no amount of points manipulation will fix it ( takes less time to check than takeing the points cover off ) 3. If the points are grounding and the fuse hasn't blown the coil will melt in 3-5 min since its got no way to release the energy going to it (so all the time trying to bump start it is melting the coil). All are low hanging fruit to check and no amount of timing adjust will fix

1 - 11 of 11 Posts