Honda Twins banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to all that chimed in with advice to my original post (I'm on my fanny, cuz I blew my tranny).

My bike is back on the road and shifting perfectly. The original problem was that after it got hot, it would not shift up or down. So below is everything I did to fix the problem. I do not know exactly what fixed it.

1. Pulled the engine and split the cases. If you pull your engine, first remove the starter motor and the horn. This will make dropping it back in later much easier.
2. Cleaned out all of the dirt and grime that was at the bottom of the engine.
3. Cleaned and polished the shift drum, shift forks and all related parts to the shift drum. I had a strange swirling pattern in the center shift channel that I removed with a wire wheel and polishing compound. When I got done, all these pieces shined like a mirror. There were no rough edges on anything. The gears and dogs were all in perfect condition so I did nothing to them.
4. Re-assembled the shift drum, forks and gears, verified shifting, then put the cases back together with Hondabond 4 sealer (the gray, non-silicone stuff).
5. Thoroughly cleaned all of the parts within the right side engine cover: oil sump screen, oil slinger, etc.. Replaced all of the oil seals.
6. Thoroughly cleaned all of the parts within the left side stator cover and sprocket cover. Replaced all of the oil seals. I used 600 grit paper to clean the brass contacts on the neutral switch.
7. On the right side, replaced the shift lever return spring and the other two smaller springs in the vicinity of the star-shaped shifter thingy.
8. Installed new EBC CK1132 clutch friction plates and Barnett heavy duty clutch springs. I soaked the clutch plates in oil overnight as recommended by EBC.
9. Re-assembled the side covers with new gaskets. I used Vesrah gasket set VG-145.
10. Installed the engine back into the bike. I did this myself, but it would be easier with two people.
11. Installed all of the other parts back onto the bike.
12. Put 2 liters of Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 synthetic oil into the engine.
13. Adjusted the clutch.

I then started the engine and took the bike for ride around the yard for 15 minutes. Shifting was perfect and I had no leaks. This was not a complete test so I then went for a ride on the street for about an hour and a half. This got the engine plenty hot enough to show the problem. I was pleasantly surprised that there were no problems shifting. I was able to shift up and down with confidence while in traffic. The new clutch felt really good too. Starting off in first was very smooth. Moving the shift lever up and down was also much easier.

I have attached some pics of the polished shift drum and the bike all back together. I can't wait to go riding again.


Tool accessory Auto part Gear Tool Hardware accessory
Auto part Motor vehicle Engine Vehicle Automotive engine part
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top