Honda Twins banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi hondatwins members, i hope all has been well and good

Here is my scenario:
Let my buddy ride my 73 CB450, and he "didnt use the clutch". Later it became extremely difficult to shift, then about mile later, would not shift at all.
The shifter would move, but not go into a gear. luckily i had been able to get it into neutral before it would not shift at all

Now I had already fixed the 2nd gear shift problem that is very common with these bikes before this occured.

I took the engine apart and I can only think of one reason in that maybe i reversed two of the three shift forks. I am a little clueless as two what else it might be the gears slide fine on the shafts, so i dont beleve that is the reason.

any ideas?
thanks for looking
-Dan from nj

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
this second gear shift problem you speak of, i think i have this problem. when i shift to second it sounds like the gear is slipping and it just jerks and such. and its really hard to shift. is there a thread on here or can you direct me to where you found how to fix it. im in the process of taking the bottom half of the crankcase off but i gotta get that oil bolt off first. i was just gonna get it open and see if there was anything visibly wrong.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are a few different threads on here, a few are mine when i was inquiring about this infamous problem a year ago.
Inspect these items that are known to cause this problem.
1. Shift drum. The labrynths that the fork pins ride on can wear.
Also on the shift drum, inspect where the shift detent wheel (the bigger of the two wheels on the clutch side of the shift drum) rides and rolls over the pins. The pins can wear.

2. The large shift detent wheel itself can cause a problem. Hold the wheel and see if it can move back and forth. It should not. If it does, then it has become oblonged and should be replaced. Although, there is a thread on here where someone actually rebuilt one - pretty cool

3. Check the sliding action of the gears on the trans shafts. they should move effortlessly. Also inspect the gear dogs and cogs. this is where the actually gears engage with each other.

4. Inspect the 3 shift forks for abnormal wear and make sure they are not bent.
I hope you find this useful. Good luck with your rebuild.
-Dan from NJ

1 - 3 of 3 Posts