Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All and thanks for taking the time to read.

Just working on my bike ('72 CL350) and needed to replace the spark plug boots and noticed that the ignition wires, coming from the coils, were just long enough to attach to the spark plugs. I reckon that the previous owner(s), and myself included, had snipped off a bit of the end to freshen it up to screw in a new boot.

I really don't want to spring for a new set of coils - these work fine and I'm on a budget. Was wondering if it's advisable to do the following fix:

For those of you who don't want to watch, the guy basically uses a shorten nail as a splice between the remaining part of the original wiring (about 1" left) coming from a coil and a new ignition wire. Seems like it would work. I think a better way would be to somehow use a threaded splice or screw to get a better hold.

Thanks Everyone and really appreciate the great advice I read and get here.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Interesting...
I'd probably be inclined to try and move the coils closer... Fab something out of some steel bands with holes in them... Just to get by. Replacement coils are the preferred choice, however.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks doode - that was the other option I was thinking about. And that's just it - I just need to get by for now until the end of the riding season and when I can put some more money into the bike.

Cheers

·
Registered
483 Posts
Ngk makes a replacement set of wires with the correct cap resistance for dirt cheap. They also make a cable splicer for us Honda guys with "non-replacable" coil wires. I cut my cable back but left a decent chunk in the event I had to resplice again later, put in the splicer and measured out the new cable to length and spliced. I think the whole thing took maybe 15 minutes and mine has been running fine ever since.

Splicer link: https://www.amazon.com/NGK-J-1-Raci...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=454HV4C9Q513R157QX70

Cable link:
https://www.amazon.com/NGK-CR5-Raci...cing+cable&dpPl=1&dpID=41vmcc22riL&ref=plSrch

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I know of one bike the owner who cut the plug wire off and stripped part of it . Took a piece of plug wire, stripped it then wrapped the two together and covered the with elec tape and rode that way for several years. I wouldnt do it nor recommend it but it worked on his 160.

Poor people have poor ways.

Bill

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
I know of one bike the owner who cut the plug wire off and stripped part of it . Took a piece of plug wire, stripped it then wrapped the two together and covered the with elec tape and rode that way for several years. I wouldnt do it nor recommend it but it worked on his 160.

Bill
they also spend lots of time on the side of the road “fixing” the same problems over and over again and frequently do chain reaction damage to other components.

im not saying it can’t be done or that it shouldn’t be done. I’m just saying I personally wouldn’t do it unless it was when I was broke down out on he road and needed to make it home.

Uh oh... I’m getting sucked back into bikes again��

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts

Bill
they also spend lots of time on the side of the road “fixing” the same problems over and over again and frequently do chain reaction damage to other components.

im not saying it can’t be done or that it shouldn’t be done. I’m just saying I personally wouldn’t do it unless it was when I was broke down out on he road and needed to make it home.

Uh oh... I’m getting sucked back into bikes again?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awesome fellas - I didn't know they even existed. Don't know what I'd do without this forum!

Outobie - I hope you weren't considering giving up bikes!?! :eek: Hate to lose such an experienced, patient and knowledgeable member!

Thanks everyone!

Cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts