Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I am new at timing and went and timed my bike last night. It took me awhile because every time I timed it I had to go and adjust the point gap. Anyway.

Is it bad that one of the points is firing a little past their mark? Basically the right set of points are opening about two centimeters past the F mark on the alternator. Is this really bad or can I leave it like that?

Thx

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
The points MUST fire EXACTLY on their respective marks..... The right point gap WILL change, and simply must be within the range, NOT at a specific setting.......

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx. Yes, the left is firing right on the money. It's the right that is a little off, but from your post I am going to leave it then.

Thx

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
bk69cb350 said:
Thx. Yes, the left is firing right on the money. It's the right that is a little off, but from your post I am going to leave it then.

Thx
I don't believe this is what Steve is saying. Both sides must fire right on the marks. When setting the right side, the gap will change, but you must have it right on the mark.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok I get it. So if I set the timing and the right point gap is a little off, that's ok. So how off can the gap be? I think I was getting .017in as opposed to the .012-.016 range.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Point gap should remain in spec range you listed. If the right point gap is big after you adjust it to open at the "F", then you should go back to the left gap, adjust it higher or lower (within the spec range), readjust the plate to get the left point to open at "LF", readjust the right gap to open at "F", then check the right gap to see if it is now within the range.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Thanks Jeremy..... After rewriting/reposting the exact proceedure, step-by-step in detail a zillion times it is helpful when someone else steps in and extrapolates on the finer points......
(I just don't have the patience all the time anymore... :lol: )..... Thanks again, Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts