Honda Twins banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this should be simple,right? not with me. after insuring left cyl. at tdc and index marks aligned I cannot move plate enuf to set timing. I saw a fello on u tube with same problem, but no response I could see on u tube. Any help greatly appreciated. Thank you. Bob

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Bob - it always helps for us to know what bike you're talking about. There are twins with dual points and twins with single points, different crankshaft orientation being the reason. Pictures help too. And doode is right, you should be setting it to fire at LF and F (depending on 180° or 360° crank), and not at TDC (LT and T, depending on crank)

Since you're here, you should take a look at this

https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/23-member-introductions/121120-critical-read-before-posting.html

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Point gap wide enough? A smaller gap will retard the timing. .012-.016" is the acceptable range.

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
Just place your bike model in your signature line and we will all know what you are working on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you. I mention tdc because I wanted the left cyl there when the LF index mark was aligned with the mark on the stator. The bike is a 1972 CL 350. I'm sure this is something so simple that escapes me. There is spark at the points and at the plugs. Fresh fuel. It ran before I decided to check the timing.I appreciate your response and help. Thank you

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Bmwbob... don't give up hope.. I'm still learning this stuff myself.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
This doesn't make any sense. What are you trying to do?
LF on intake stroke, not compression

Thank you. I mention tdc because I wanted the left cyl there when the LF index mark was aligned with the mark on the stator. The bike is a 1972 CL 350. I'm sure this is something so simple that escapes me. There is spark at the points and at the plugs. Fresh fuel. It ran before I decided to check the timing.I appreciate your response and help. Thank you

1 - 12 of 12 Posts