Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally finished my engine rebuild on my 74 k6. I can't get it to run though. I can't seem to get the points to turn the test light on only at the fire marks. They both turn on before the marks no matter where I move the base or.set them. I tried turning the lobe around 180 degrees and it didn't change. Every once in a while ill get a flame out of exhaust but that's about as much ignition as I'm getting. I tried another base and points I had laying around but it does the same thing. I never put one of these together before but my cam marks were lined up with the crank when I put the chain on. I did put the pistons in backwards the first time but when the piston touched the exhaust valve I figured it out and didn't wrench on it. The valves all looked good when I took it apart and reassembled it.

Would a new set of points fix the problem? Anyone ever have this problem? I was really hoping it would fire up right away.
Thanks, jodie

·
Registered
140 Posts
Bummer to hear about your troubles getting the bike to run. There's no need to keep trying to start the bike if your static timing is off. Are you sure your crank and cam timing marks are still in time? Wouldn't hurt to recheck.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Found the problem, the key on the crank broke. I'm lining every thing up and I'm slightly low on both cam marks, not a whole tooth low but just grazing the bearing notch, is that acceptable? I'm glad I found the problem because I was starting to doubt my skills. It's much more difficult to turn the crank when the plugs are in and its at tdc. I can't wait to ride it!
Jodie

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Found the problem, the key on the crank broke. I replaced it, the rotor and the loose starter chain. I'm lining every thing up and I'm slightly low on both cam marks, not a whole tooth low but just grazing the bearing notch, is that acceptable? The intake cam seems to lock up when I try to move it any farther up too. I'm glad I found the problem because I was starting to doubt my skills. It's much more difficult to turn the crank when the plugs are in and its at tdc. I can't wait to ride it!
Jodie

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
jodiemeglio said:
Found the problem, the key on the crank broke. I'm lining every thing up and I'm slightly low on both cam marks, not a whole tooth low but just grazing the bearing notch, is that acceptable? I'm glad I found the problem because I was starting to doubt my skills. It's much more difficult to turn the crank when the plugs are in and its at tdc. I can't wait to ride it!
Jodie
I'm surprised you didn't find that when you set the cam timing. After fixing the key on the crank, did you re-check the cam timing?

To answer your question, you really need to get the static light on (or light off depending on how your doing it) at the LF and F marks. You might get it to start if it "close enough" but it really won't run properly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts