Honda Twins banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I may have soldered a wire to the wrong pole when I refurbished my ignition switch.

-When the key is in the "off" position, the tailight remains on.
-When the key is in the "on" position, the tailight is off.... until I switch on the headlight.
-When the key is in "park" position the tailight turns off.

Can someone with better knowledge of auto-electrics confirm that I have the park and off positions crossed? I'll try and find the pic in my project log to support my theory.

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The first pic is how I got it, the second is how I resoldered it.

If the brown wire and the brown/white wire are correct, does this indicate mis-connected tailight wires down the line?

Attachments

·
Registered
272 Posts
Ugh...electrical....

Good luck. I wish I could give more assistance than simple encouragement, but when it comes to electrical, I'm only good at giving myself a good jolt every now and again.

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Best I can tell brown goes to the tail light and the brown/white goes to the gauge lights, among other things.

I'd disconnect the two from the switch, then run a jumper from the brown terminal at the tail light to the switch and see which terminal lights it up when the switch is in park position. Be sure the light switch on the hand grip is off.

DC is like water. It flows one way, from hot to ground. What is confusing is tracing a line from one place to another, so if you can eliminate all that by running a temporary jumper line from the switch terminal to the tail light you should be able to find the right terminal.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Lee, according to my 360 ignition switch, you drawing is correct.... You must have transposed wires elsewhere..... Steve

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks fellas, I'll re-check the tail light cluster and also the contact plate within the switch itself.

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wentwest said:
I'd disconnect the two from the switch.

Two what? Which switch? Sorry to be a pain :? I am keen to run the jumper tests though :)

I should also state that the rear brake light switch can be activated in the 'on' position only. Dont know if this helps...

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After 2 weeks of checking and reconnecting wires, rebuilding ignition switches and tail lights, and throwing tools across the room I have located the fault.....ME :D

All this time I was unaware that the key could be removed from the ignition switch when in the 'park' position. All this time I thought the 'park' position was 'off'. I wasnt til I was re-assembling the bloody thing that I noticed the word "off" stamped into its face......

Let the record show that on this day Lee was found by all the HondaTwins members to be guilty of being stupid :p

·
Registered
357 Posts
Homer Award nomination :lol:

I don't feel so bad now, I once refurbished the ignition switch on a Nighthawk 450, only to discover later that the PO had buggered up the wires in the tail light. :oops:

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Since Bill is gone, I'll accept Lees' confession as his "Homer" nomination (you have to/can only nominate yourself).... :lol: Steve

1 - 12 of 12 Posts