Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well My bike idles fine as it's warming up, runs fine while you're driving down the road, but about 10-15 minutes into riding, when I get stopped at a light, it idles low and the will try to die, or die. Starts right back up first kick, but then will do it again. If i adjust the idle with my idle screw, I can get ti to idle a little higher and not die, but then while riding, my RPM's dont drop, because I assume my butterflies are open to much. The only thing I haven't replaced/clean to this point is the coils. I notice in the trouble shooting in my manual it says coils can be issue with idling, along with 56 other things, but I've done pretty much everything else. How do I know if my coils are bad? How do you test something like that?

Also, I haven't synched my carbs, I know this could be part of the problem. My linkage is different than the sticky in the 450 forum, so I don't think I can do it that way. According to my service manual, there's just one screw, attached to the main linkage, I would adjust to sync them, pending the gauges I just ordered. Has anyone synched carbs on a CJ360T or CB360? I think they have the same type of linkage.

Thanks again guys!

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
On the little spring-loaded bent tab that connects the two carbs butterflys, there is an adjustment screw with a locknut....This is what is used to "sync" the carbs... The cabled finger adjustable screw is just the idle.... If you've loosened that locknut, the carbs will need re-sync'ed... If not, it could be a blocked or damaged pilot jet, regardless of cleaning.... (did you run fuel filters?)....Or any other of the 56 possibilities...Sounds to me more like a weak (only takes a surface charge) battery.... Just because it's new doesn't make it good....

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've never loosened the nut on the tab, but I can't speak for the person before me. I have gauges coming, so I can atleast test that. I forgot about the battery. The guy I bought it from said it was new. And it is a "newer" battery from the looks of it, but could be bad. Is that something I can remedy by hooking a battery tender to it, or should I just replace the battery all together? I am running a fuel filter now, after my little mishap with removing my tank. Another question, are the slow jets removable by unscrewing them like the other 2? The reason I ask is I wasn't able to unscrew them when I cleaned the carbs, so instead of forcing them, I figured they didn't come out. So I used a toothbrush and some spray carb cleaner to do the best I could, now I wonder if ithey were stuck in there after seeing a picture of a slow jet. Sorry for all the rookie questions! Thanks sprint for all your help so far!!!

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
diloret2 said:
Well I got a battery tender/charger, so I will hook that up today and see if that helps. how do I test the coils?
If it's a genuine "Battery Tender", it will let you know your battery's condition.
If the little light starts flashing, or won't turn green even after a couple of days at work, then the battery is compromised, get a new one.

I'll let Steve talk about coils, he can just copy and paste........

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
I have run into this problem countless times, and despite "fixing it", it reared its ugly head again time to time. The bike would start up fine and idle and run like a dream for 15-20 minutes, but then it would die at stoplights if I did not blip the throttle up to 2-2.5k RPMs every 10 seconds or so.
I have tried the following: replaced coils, rejetted and synched the carbs, replaced plugs, added new air filters, replaced points, adjusted timing. All to no avail. It does seem like it is the battery needing a charge. I ended up buying a new one and have not had problems yet.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea, I think it may be my battery. I hooked up the Sears Charger/Maintainer I bought and it charges for about 1 minute, then goes to charged for 15 seconds, then goes to back to charging. Over and over...I can't imagine thats a sign of a good battery.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea, I took the guys word for it that the battery was new. Come to find out, it was actually the wrong battery in it. It was about 1.5 inches too tall. I went and bought a new battery and an actual battery tender. Drove the bike tonight, and it definitely helped, it still seemed like it wanted to die a little bit, but only stalled once instead of 7-8 times. The battery might not have even been fully charged yet. I think I need to clean my carbs again, since I farted around with the tank, and before I put my fuel filter on, believe I got some more particles in my jets! Thanks again for all the help guys, it is much appreciated!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts