Honda Twins banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
It's more a case of identifying the wheel. That's not a CM E model wheel, speedo drive is on the wrong side.
Are there any markings/stamps on the rim itself? What size is the wheel?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Found some. I just browsed speedo cables until I found one that looked like the right drive. Turns out it was a CL77 CL72 CL160 CB160 CB450 cable. There are new productions on ebay.

Thanks!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also is there supposed to be some sort of spacer to keep the drive against the rim? Mine is just kinda hanging there. With nothing keeping it in place it can move outwards and disengage the drive.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
I'm guessing that it's using to original axle since it appears to be using the stock CM forks. You should post close up pictures of the left and right side of the axle ass'y since it's a morphodite. Might also send a PM to 76Twin, JamesPal, crazypj and some of the other 450 folks asking them to review this thread.

·
Premium Member
2,154 Posts
Depending on thread diameter, it's either CB450 (1968~) or CB72~77
Can't see operating arms very well but they look like the earlier cast/forged ones of CB77? (CB450 normally used pressed/spot welded arms, like CB350's)
Looks like speedo drive is broken anyway, it shouldn't look like that

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is there another speedo drive assembly that is correct for the wheel? Or is there a spacer that is normally between the fork and the speedo drive? It seems like there should be something holding the assembly to the wheel. I wouldn't mind buying the correct drive/cable....just don't want to go around in circles.

·
Premium Member
2,154 Posts
I'll get a picture of correct assembly. Pretty sure that drive is damaged though

·
Premium Member
2,154 Posts
OK, got pictures of 305 and 450 drives, yours is busted due to incorrect assembly at some time. Unfortunately I've forgotten which is which and don't have time to measure things at present :D

Speedo drive CB77 or CB450.jpg Speedo drive CB450 or CB77.jpg

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks crazy, what keeps the drive seated against the rim? I'll knock apart the front wheel as soon as I get a lift.

I got the bike from a guy who got it from a guy and no one could tell me anything about it so this is learning as I go.

·
Premium Member
2,154 Posts
The axle holds everything tight. What has happened is someone didn't line up drive properly and the thinnest part of shell broke. When you remove drive you'll probably find internal damage to various parts. It could also be the wrong drive for that wheel. 450 and 250/305 look the same (except for cable threads) but are not interchangeable

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, it's a 305 because that's the cable I just got that fits on it....I just snagged a drive on ebay and will go from there.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yikes! I just bought mine for $12 on ebay.....is it safe to say it's a CB77 front wheel too? I want to do wheel bearings while it's all apart. Just don't want to order the wrong ones!

Thanks for all the help.

·
Premium Member
2,154 Posts
$12.00~$20.00 is a more realistic price. No idea where that guy got idea it's worth over $130.00 (with shipping) Probably doesn't have a clue but does have an old Honda price list?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts