Honda Twins banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hard to believe I've been working on my K4 450 front end all day today.... yeah, i thought it would be a simple fork seal change day. right! Spent most of day looking parts fiche and online researching what forks style I have and what parts to order.

SOoooo, i'm stymied. the front end i have is not in the parts list. (OR my front forks are not complete?) Please see attached photos. The spring is not in photos but was present in fork tube. Anyone reconize these fork parts? K3? K4? K5? or ???

TIA, danWI

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Dan... They look like the K3/early K4 forks to me... Had the large finned caliper, correct?......The early 750 sohc's used the same/similar set-up.... I'm sure Bill will be able to verify or correct this...... Steve

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Forgive my haste... I answered based on the slider configuration... Didn't notice that the innards were non-matching, only that they looked to be 450 parts..... Good catch Bill.... Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the input guys. i'm still going thru honda model parts fiche on this one (450's, 500t's, 400 Fours, cb750's, etal...) its frustrating because the fork seals I pulled from these fork lowers are 35-48-15 and the K4 replacements i purchaced are 35-48-11. the dampening was never great on this bike so I do wonder if parts are not present. Please note the bottom of the dampener is not like the K5 dampener with rod. very confusing....

heres a photo of fork lower bottoms. danWI

Top dampener is in my forks (no rod).... bottom dampener is K5-7 with rod

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
danWI said:
thanks for the input guys. i'm still going thru honda model parts fiche on this one (450's, 500t's, 400 Fours, cb750's, etal...) its frustrating because the fork seals I pulled from these fork lowers are 35-48-15 and the K4 replacements i purchaced are 35-48-11. the dampening was never great on this bike so I do wonder if parts are not present. Please note the bottom of the dampener is not like the K5 dampener with rod. very confusing....
I'm confused now.
The 35x48x11 is the correct seal for all disk brake 450's, as well as 500T......

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
The more I looked at your first pic, the more it appeared to me that the parts were correct... SO, I checked them against the PDF parts guide I got from Bill....
Those look like K3/K4 parts when compared to my fische....(first pic ones)....Usually, the damper tube is left in the slider.... Steve

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
66Sprint said:
The more I looked at your first pic, the more it appeared to me that the parts were correct... SO, I checked them against the PDF parts guide I got from Bill....
Those look like K3/K4 parts when compared to my fische....(first pic ones)....Usually, the damper tube is left in the slider.... Steve
yep all good :D the forks are from K3-4 and should have the finned caliper and different caliper mount. see pics ;) first pic, top mount is, as you said K3-4 and lower the rest.

Second pic, bottom fork is K3-4 an top fork the rest (internals may change but the basic external stays the same.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
danWI said:

heres a photo of fork lower bottoms. danWI
35 X 48 X 11 is correct for the disc brake K3-4
35 X 46 X 11 is correct for the drum brake CB and CL K3-4

Rod from OZ :cool:

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
this is awsome news!! thanks for the pics Rod. Just some quick questions before i put the front end together:

It sounds like someone put a thicker fork seal (15mm rather than 11mm) in then. Is there suppose to be a washer between the top of the fork seal and the ring clip? This would explain the gap that currently exists.

Steve, I have to ask, what holds the dampener tube in the fork tube? Am i missing a connector or is it a press fit?

Thanks for all the input guys, so value the knowledge base here!
danWI

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Dan.... IF I remember correctly, the damper tube is affixed in the slider (before assembly)... It simply goes up the center of the fork tube (like the spring) as you insert the tube. the spring 'seats' on that little lip.... My memory tells me there WAS a washer under the snap-ring, but I could be thinking about the earlier style forks..... I have a set of those forks I can pop apart if you are short the washers (and to verify this info is correct), but a washer should show in the fische if it is required..... My fische is at the shop, and I'm home today....Steve........

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm looking at the fische online right now, Steve. According to K4 parts list, there is a washer between seal and circlip. The rubber seat for the internal spring woudl make sense. I'm heading out to my local speed shop to hopefully find rubber spring washer, seal washers, and circlips. Will let you know, danWI

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Steve, i should have been more specific... the rubber seat where the inner spring contacts the dampener. I have found the parts locally online and put in an order. this, of course, doesnt mean they actually HAVE the parts, so on monday we'll see. i have until then to clean up the rust on the tubes and get into replacing the wire harness/loom. thanks for the assist, danWI

1 - 14 of 14 Posts