Honda Twins banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
I found a 'local guy' named Gino here about a week ago who i made 'first contact' with.. The man has a full time job as a machinist plus a big shop at home where he works kind of night & day to do Lot's of powersports machine work for a few local dealerships and other folks.. I came-along w/ my 'small job'(bore a single cylinder Honda XR200 .5mm over and fit the piston) for him to do($50 for the bore-job) and hope that he can get to it.I also showed him the XR200 single head w/ an exh. valve seat that has been ground a number of times to where it sits fairly low in the head and should have the seat replaced;he told me that he has someone to do that.Gino doesn't like to pick-up the phone though.. I just hope he does my job in a timely manner.
The weather is so warm lately that I'm getting 'itchy' for having that cylinder head exh. seat replaced and I'm Ready to want to put it into service right away.I'd like if i can at least get that head over to his contact who will replace the exh. seat.I will try to see if I can get him to do that and 'have it in the works' so I can get it back and install it in my little road bike for Spring which looks like it's coming early to me.
I still think the man is TOO BUSY w/ All that work he has lined-up at his 'home shop' previously to get to my small jobs and hope to find another fair shop who will take my work seriously and GET IT DONE and then call me and tell me "it's ready,come pick it up" for a fair price.I would like if the shop is close enough so i can keep on top of it w/o 'residing in Limbo'. ;)

Gino told me to call him on Mon. 4PM(Today!) and I did,no answer... called him again at 5PM.. :roll: and just don't understand what's up w/ this 'phone call lottery' :rolleyes: Maybe the guy picks-up a phone only when he 'feels' like it.
Stuff like this I don't need.

Well,after patiently waiting for 'Gino' here locally to finsih boring one cylinder I called again this weekend and he told me "I'll get to it" again but when I asked how much longer(it's been 3 weeks now & he cheerfully told me "a week" when I brought it to him at first.. :rolleyes:) he spoke to me disrespectfully.. I didn't 'feed the fire' but was just saying "ok" I guess the man is trying to give me the subtle brush-off.
I have a few nice parts I want to get glass bead blasted and since I'm new to this area I really don't know how to find an honest workman/shop who I can bring them to and also hate to have to pay $ to send them away(plus they might break some fins in shipping,it's happened before) because i'm not Rockefeller :( and even if I was 'loaded' I'd hate to have to go around showing-off that i have $,that's lame.

Do any of you have any tips for me how I can research this here locally? possibly talk to a few different others who might know about just glass bead blasting by actual Human/e Beings who care.
I'd like to turn the energy of this around toward the 'up-swing' ;)

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Now you know why I just purchased small engine machining equipment.
TOOLS
I was hoping that this time was going to work w/ this local machinist;I hate having to hunt-around so much after these guy's stress themselves out and then try to dump it on the low man on the totem pole i.e. me.
I'll drive 50 miles if I have to if I can have someone who cares give me an honest time/$ estimate and do good quality work from start to finish.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Mon.,
Today I've decided to put the parts that I need glass-beaded blasted into a box and drive to Greensburg,PA.(10 mi. S.) and look around the area from shop to shop and see who has a nice glass bead blasting cabinet that will do a CB350G cyl. head and a few other parts for me(or let me operate the machine,done it plenty)so I can get these jobs moving.The one main engine rebuilder there charges $90/hr. for any task at all w/ a 1 hr. minimum,strike that off the list.I want to speak directly w/ local,caring folks.. at least that's my intent.I'll just chalk it up to 'research'. ;)

Do any of you have any hints for me as to what type of commercial shops may use a glass bead blasting cabinet regularly ?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Mon.,
Today I've decided to put the parts that I need glass-beaded blasted into a box and drive to Greensburg,PA.(10 mi. S.) and look around the area from shop to shop and see who has a nice glass bead blasting cabinet that will do a CB350G cyl. head and a few other parts for me(or let me operate the machine,done it plenty)so I can get these jobs moving.The one main engine rebuilder there charges $90/hr. for any task at all w/ a 1 hr. minimum,strike that off the list.I want to speak directly w/ local,caring folks.. at least that's my intent.I'll just chalk it up to 'research'. ;)

Do any of you have any hints for me as to what type of commercial shops may use a glass bead blasting cabinet regularly ?
If you have a good air compressor, Why not go to the nearest harbor freight store with a 20% coupon and buy a blasting cabinet and some glass media. I've gotten a lot of use out of mine. It's not without some frustrations but I can get the job done most of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
If you have a good air compressor, Why not go to the nearest harbor freight store with a 20% coupon and buy a blasting cabinet and some glass media. I've gotten a lot of use out of mine. It's not without some frustrations but I can get the job done most of the time.

PJ,
I hope to have a shop again in the future but right now I live in an apt. w/ all my stuff in a storage locker out in the country w/ no elec. and so my choices are limited to sub-contractors..

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
DSCN2301.JPG
Mon.,

I did take that ride into Greensburg,PA. this past Mon. and after stopping in multiple places and asking the Autozone guy googled 'glass bead blasting' and found a large local co. that goes into powerplants and blasts their big machinery,the name of the place is: Arco Enterprises/ arcoent.com
There's a guy in the back who does small jobs for folks who drop-off items and I got the CB350K5/G head glass bead blasted w/ very fine beads along w/ the valves and 2) triples and all for $40 !
This is a Big,Huge co. and so all the "Who sent you? Are you my 'Buddy' ??" SH*T doesn't come 'into play' Thank God ! They just look at the job,do it same day! and I give them the $ and pick it up: THAT'S BUSINESS ! right?! :)

DSCN2302.JPG DSCN2295.JPG

Now if only I can find a Powersports dude locally(fat chance!)who does same day service for $cash and such quality work.

TOOLS,I'd like to get this single cylinder back from 'Gino' and send it to you(I guess I give Gino another week to hear from him.. :roll: )and wondered what you'll charge me to do the Honda XR200 single cylinder .5mm over and fit it to .001in clearance ?

Feb.16, I checked my ph. messages on the ph. that I usually shut-off(alternate)and heard a message from Gino that he finally got my cylinder done,that's good. ;)

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I found a shop in Salisbury,NC.(Carolina Cycle) who does excellent machine work and so I sent my XR200 cylinder head to them to have the exh. valve seat replaced;that good fella called me back and told me "the intake seat should be done also" and he gave me a price I couldn't pass-up for the full job w/ shipping.Here's what the head looks like now ! He had a Very busy Winter with setting-up drag race bikes and was able to fit my little job in and do quality work besides :)

DSCN2324.JPG

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
I found a shop in Salisbury,NC.(Carolina Cycle) who does excellent machine work and so I sent my XR200 cylinder head to them to have the exh. valve seat replaced;that good fella called me back and told me "the intake seat should be done also" and he gave me a price I couldn't pass-up for the full job w/ shipping.Here's what the head looks like now ! He had a Very busy Winter with setting-up drag race bikes and was able to fit my little job in and do quality work besides :)
Looks really good, Bill. Wish I could be of more help with recommendations but I'm nowhere near your area. Glad you found a combination of places to get your stuff done.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
I don't have any experience w/ getting new seats installed but if I ever need that done again I'll certainly send the job their way ;)
I didn't have any experience replacing valve seats while working in the industry. Fortunately, I never owned anything that needed it. Definitely something that has to be done right or issues can/will occur. Much like good bore work, it's definitely worth sending it to someone competent and trustworthy.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Does anyone know of a powersports friendly machinist in PA.? if not i'll need to be sending my head and cylinder far away..
Bill I'm up in Erie, PA. I use Jim Crolli. He knows quite a good bit about old Hondas (he was even pretty knowledgeable about the torsion spring setup of my cb450 valve train). I had him bore both of my cylinders and bead blast it while he had it for 135 after tax. I think he charged $50-60 a hole to bore depending on the number of passes it took. I'm not sure who does his valve work but you could call and ask him (anyone halfway decent with a boring bar should be able to replace your valve seat). Phone number is (814)866-2221

21 - 36 of 36 Posts