Honda Twins banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
......of northern Indiana and I just happen to have my 450 in the back of my truck so I gave our former moderator TBPMusic (Bill) a call and stopped by to see if he wanted to go for a ride. It just so happens I'm still have some problems getting the idle to come down properly and thought he might have some ideas. Additionally, somewhere during the trip my throttle got tweaked and wasn't automatically returning. Not a big deal but it doesn't hurt to get a pro's help when you can. :0

We unloaded the bike and he told me to take his 450 up the road for a ride and see what I thought. The throttle response was very crisp like mine SHOULD be and the bike ran strong and handled well.

When I got back we found the problem with the twist grip (the grip itself had moved and was rubbing the housing) so a quick blast of air to loosen the grip, move it slightly and all was well with the automatic return again. Unfortunately, we broke the wire off the electric start button but that's no biggie and will be quickly fixed when I get home.

We started the bike up and hooked the Morgan sync tool up (the same one I have at home) and re-synced the carbs. Bill taught me his method which makes a lot more sense than the way I was doing it. My method would sync the carbs at idle but wasn't necessarily balancing them once the throttle was open. I'm a smarter person because of this session.

Once the carbs were sync'd we still had the same problem with the idle not coming down under about 2500 rpm. We checked the points and all was well, did a compression check and that was good too. Next we pulled the spark plug caps one at a time and that showed us that it was the left side that was causing the problem (with the left plug cap off the idle promptly returned to normal).

In the end, we decided I needed to check the intake valve timing and that has to be done cold so we had nothing left to do and go for a ride around the lake. Cool.

We got to the end of the driveway and Bill realized the rear brake wasn't working. I told him it didn't work when I rode it either but I thought he knew that. I don't use the rear brake much just figured he knew that. Nope, not the case. Bill didn't particularly want to ride without the rear brake but we decided to live on the edge and go anyway. It was nice slow, meandering trip through the green countryside.

We got back, and I used my fat fingers while laying on the ground to replace the missing connector pin between the brake rod and the brake pedal. I also drilled the bolt for a clip so it wouldn't fall out while waiting to get the new part.

After a Mountain Dew and some good conversation, we loaded up the bike and I was off for central Wisconsin and the Oshkosh air show.

Btw, I picked up the remaining inventory of HondaTwins patches and will commence to providing those to anyone that is interested. More details later. Bill also had a present waiting for me of a very nice shirt.

Thanks for everything Bill.

·
Registered
97 Posts
thats cool that you had someone to ride around with and has the knowledge of all that stuff to help you out. i cant wait till i can get mine looking as good as yours do. props for sure!!

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Nice to hear Bill is doing OK. I suspect he was pretty glad to unload the last of the patches.

How did that bike go over at Oshkosh? I know there's usually a category for vintage bikes at carshows around here but I didn't know they did that at airshows too! :roll:

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
That's the first time I've seen ol' bill in the flesh. Sounds like you two had a good time too! Glad to see it.. ;)

On a aircraft related side note. I was out hand digging a ditch today here in Toledo and putting in a culvert, and three WWII fighters flew over in a pretty tight formation. The sound of those engines was unmistakable! They were headed due south. I've been wondering where they were headed ever since...

GB :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
J-T said:
Nice to hear Bill is doing OK. I suspect he was pretty glad to unload the last of the patches.

How did that bike go over at Oshkosh? I know there's usually a category for vintage bikes at carshows around here but I didn't know they did that at airshows too! :roll:
I didn't see any car shows other than a gathering of very cool Mustangs, both old and new and there wasn't anything in the way of motorcycles that I saw. Jack Roush always has a bunch of his hot rod Mustangs on display for sale but his week was rained on when he crash his Beechcraft Jet when trying an odd maneuver on very short final at about 50'. He wadded the plane up pretty good but his passanger, a 61 yr. old woman and himself will live to tell about it another day. Last I heard he was transported to Rochester, MN Mayo Clinic.

The purpose of bringing my bike along was to go for a ride with my brother in law on his new (to him anyway) Suzuki V Strom and also to visit and ride with Bill.

·
Registered
75 Posts
What kind of wheels are on the black and white bike? Comstars? Something similar? I'd love a set of those for my 500.

Sounds like you guys had a great ride. Good looking bikes, too.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Nice Mike! Glad to hear Bill is doing well and still passing on the knowledge. Sounds like you guys had a great afternoon.

Wow the ol' Oshkosh air show, I used to go up there from northern Illinois every year with my dad and grandfather. Memories!!

Have a great day Mike!

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
chubbs899 said:
MNellis said:
......of northern Indiana ]
Where in indiana were you?? And who is who in the picture!?!?!
We were in Laporte, IN. Bill is the good looking guy in the white shirt and that's me hovering over the Blue 450.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
5280 CB500T said:
What kind of wheels are on the black and white bike? Comstars? Something similar? I'd love a set of those for my 500.

Sounds like you guys had a great ride. Good looking bikes, too.
I believe those are Comstars off a CM400 or something. In fact, I think the whole front end is off a CM400. If you do a search of TBPMusic you should find a link to his 450 project and it will talk about the modifications.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
MNellis said:
I believe those are Comstars off a CM400 or something. In fact, I think the whole front end is off a CM400. If you do a search of TBPMusic you should find a link to his 450 project and it will talk about the modifications.
Actually, it's a bit hard to find...

Enjoy.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thrilhou said:
Actually, it's a bit hard to find...

Enjoy.
Excellent, good find. I was thinking more of doing a search on this forum but this is even better. :)

The donor bike for the wheels looks to be a CB400T2 and not a CM 400.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had comstars just like that on my 1980 CM400T. They look great on that bike. I know they aren't easy to find, but now I want to start looking. Gosh, there are just too many ideas on this site. It's like walking into Toys'r'us. I could walk around and stare for hours. :D :D :D

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Both wheels, forks, front fender, caliper are from a '78 CB400 T2.......

Details of how they were adapted are on the Build Log web site.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts