Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I was so close... after hours of reading the forums, watching videos and reading the FSM over and over, I was able to get my 73 CL running yesterday! I was so happy!

About a month ago I traced my original no-start issue (with your help) to a failing kill switch but also decided to replace the coils, points and condenser because the spark looked weak, the coils looked original and resistance readings were suspect.
After watching the Common Motor video on how to tune up their points I decided to leave the originals in place as they looked good, no pits, just lightly cleaned them. I installed the coils and condenser, taking my time, labeled all wires, shot lots of photos, set cam chain tension, valve clearance and timing (in that order). And vroom! Put on about 12 miles with no issues.

Well, this morning I decided to watch the points video again, follow their directions and install the new points. While setting the timing the test lamp clip slipped and shorted against the head producing a small spark and now... no spark on that side.
Ugh.... more forums and videos...
I get spark at the right plug and arc at the right points but nothing on the left. Double checked all connections... nothing. I don't see any grounding of the points wires.

Did I fry the condenser? Before I order a new one can you kind folks weigh in on this?
I've made an effort to read first and post only when lost (or exasperated).

Thanks, Jim (exasperated).

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
why don't you swap the condenser wires and see if the no spark issue also swapped side. If so then replace the condenser.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Twin.
I did that, no change. Still have spark on the right and not on the left.
I tested resistance (inductance?) of the new coils, fearing I had fried one of them. Left is P 2.9 S 11.25k, right is P 2.8 S 11.08k.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Shorting the test wire lead to the head won't hurt anything, that's what the points do, they ground the points wire then break the connection to make a spark. Turn the engine over until you see the points are open, you should see battery voltage at the wire connector with your test light. Now use a screwdriver to ground the points terminal to ground, that should make a spark when you pull the screwdriver away. No spark? then unplug the points/condenser wire from the coil and ground the coil side connector. If the coil is good and it is getting 12 volts at the black wire grounding the other wire (blue or yellow) will make a spark. Did you clean the preservative coating off the new points? Are you sure the insulating washers are in the right order at the points wire connection?

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Post a pic of your points and the connection.
The most common mistake is not getting the hot lead to the points in the stack of nuts & washers correctly so that it is NOT shorted out.
Look carefully at the stack of nuts/washer and the connector of the side that works and compare with the side that does NOT.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
And along with what Yendor correctly pointed out about the assembly of the points connections, let's hope it didn't lead to the demise of the coil on that side

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
One of my 450s was having a rough running issue.. troubleshot it to only one plug firing ... discovered a bad ground to frame (corrosion) on one of the coils..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your help, again. It turns out that Yendor was right. The connector on the left point was grounding out. They are VERY particular how they are attached, as he said.
Happy again :) Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts