Honda Twins banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mostly just a vent post, but...grrrr. I just finished a full restore on my ‘75 CB360, scrubbed everything, painted, de-rusted...

More than that, though, I’ve rebuilt this engine twice now. The PO had let the cam chain tensioner break off inside the engine, so upon buying it, I got to pull the engine, split the cases, and fish out the broken bits. The cylinder walls were glazed, so I went whole ham and had it overbored with GS850 pistons to 378, and replaced the spring in the clutch cover to address the pressure release valve/top end oiling issue. It ran decently well all of last summer, albeit with weird charging issues I still haven’t completed ironed out.

Then I changed the oil, and everything’s gone to hell. I cut a gasket for the clutch cover that turned out to be a little too wide in the leg near the oil pickup tube - somehow, it got pulled into that gap and blocked oil to the head. Fried cam number one. Rocker arms toast, cylinder head journals roasted, valve cover journals fried. Miraculously, a rust bucket 360 shows up for cheap on Craigslist, so I grab it and cannibalize it for top end parts. I stumble into free scrambler headers. Paint goes magnificently. New wiring harness, R/R, I’m trying to make this thing run as well as I can - I know I’m not gonna get the money out of it, but I really like the bike. Post rebuild, it runs eh, but I figure that’s because it’s on short exhausts until the mufflers come in.

Bam, tonight I’m getting set to tune it with the mufflers on. I’ve ridden it around the block a few times, so I’m completely unsuspecting when I hear SCREECH and then it goes back to running normally. Or so I think. Then it dies and seizes. I try to get it to roll over again, but the kicker just fires back at me. So, filled with anxiety, I pop the valve cover, and find...
AC7266C0-3C8C-4ABD-A69E-4EB28A305702.jpg
96F140CE-22DF-4ED2-AA5D-3F4A975BCD58.jpg
2ED3B75A-125D-4171-9E57-EF8C96690C0A.jpg

Am I the most incompetent mechanic in the world, or what? Haven’t gotten into the clutch cover yet, but I’m guessing something there is plugged again. Couldn’t be more frustrated right now though, I feel like all I can do is put this thing back together wrong.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Did you use assembly lube and fill the baths with oil during rebuild?
I always check for oil after a rebuild

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doused it in assembly lube, yeah :( and filled the baths before putting the valve cover back on. It ran well for the first week, which is the really boggling part of it. I guess this saves us the trouble of figuring out the stator for now though, eh?

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Oh man, that's a bummer. Rest easy that all the damage is repairable.
Well, 3rd times a charm! Soon you'll be a pro like crazypj!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m already planning the route from here to the cylinder head shop and then Delta Camshaft in Tacoma on Monday haha. Just a little crushed, I really thought I had it this time. I need to do a better job of maintaining a build thread - I feel like this has to be an accumulation of small errors that you guys would easily spot.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Hey, don't feel too bad - I went through 2 left exhaust cam bearings and later, a torched left exhaust cam lobe and follower (while it ran almost 100 miles along the way) before I discovered the one thing I hadn't looked at closely after re-assembling it, the oil filter cover valve. I had it assembled wrong, and it was the only thing I didn't look at during multiple disassemblies... Mama used to say "sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees"

·
Registered
703 Posts
Working at and owning these things must be a bit like the military special forces selection and training, where they throw things into the mix to show that life ain't always fair, and to see whether you can handle it.

It doesn't hate you - it just wants to see if you're ready for it :)

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tom, I think I might be the victim of a similar mistake. That slinger/pressure release valve area is the only place I can think of that I didn’t give very thorough attention to this time around. Definitely followed that guide last night though, Brent! I keep repeating in my head, sometimes you go forward, sometimes you go back, but you always get better. So here’s to round 3 :mad: :D

Do you guys know if it’s possible to clean up the journals on the head side? I haven’t gotten the cam out, but I’m under the impression cams/rocker surfaces can be welded and ground. Just wondering if I should break out the spare head (which would mean fixing some busted threads that the exhaust studs thread into) or if I can drop this one off at the head shop nearby and get it patched up. I’ll have to call em either way, they’re just closed today.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I don't have much 360 experience, but I'd be doubtful. I can't say as I've ever heard of anyone welding up and machining down an aluminum bearing surface that was part of any head before but you never know, I guess maybe. As for the oil filter valve, if you didn't see what I discovered and what needed to be done (but on a 450), here it is if it will help give you at least a little insight

http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/1-project-logs/65305-cl450-project-reboot-street-legal-time-7.html#post693025

·
Registered
725 Posts
I was practically born on a tractor. The other day I went out, drained the oil, changed the filter on my glorius little, 3 cylinder Perkins diesel (best engine ever put in anything) and then filled it up with hydraulic fluid. So, I chose a new name for myself then, I drained the...

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I was practically born on a tractor. The other day I went out, drained the oil, changed the filter on my glorius little, 3 cylinder Perkins diesel (best engine ever put in anything) and then filled it up with hydraulic fluid. So, I chose a new name for myself then, I drained the...
ugh... hey, many (if not the majority) have done an oil change and forgot to put the drain plug back in before pouring fresh oil back into it... stuff happens!

·
Registered
703 Posts
I'm too lazy and old-fashioned for that kind of approach Brent. I just stick with the old name, but throw some fairly select combinations of traditional and colloquial adjectives in front of it, as well as a few new ones that I make up to suit in the moment :)

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Ouch! After reading through your story and your response to initial comments, I have no idea what could have gone wrong. Sorry to hear about the seizure. Might be good to let her sit in the back of the garage and enjoy life for a bit before digging into the project again.

I know the HSM asks you to pop open a tappet cover to look for oil splashing around when the engine starts to run (after a rebuild).

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The only thing I can think of is that maybe the spring I used in the clutch cover mod was a little TOO stiff and it’s making that ring contact the slinger and interfere with it... I didn’t have the heart to crack the side cover today, but the one of the head journals is pretty cooked. I’ve got a spare, but it needs a bit of work. I think you’re right though - gonna see it aside for a couple weeks and see if I can make some progress on the 450. I’m just determined to get something, anything rideable by the time the weather turns :D

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alright. Game time. I took a look inside, and I honestly think this is a case of me being too dumb for my own good. I found a mystery washer!
IMG_2255.jpg
Not sure how clear it is, but that's a washer that fits perfectly onto that spindle. I took a look at the fiche and it shouldn't be there at all - I'm not sure where I found it. So I had it arranged slinger-washer-retaining ring-pressure plate-spring-right side engine cover. You can see here how well that went:
IMG_2261.jpg
That's the slinger cover I just took off next to the spare I have. It looks like the extra space mashed the washer against the slinger cover, pushing the retaining ring down the spindle and pushing the pressure plate all the way in. The spinning action then ground it all together and permanently mated the arrangement to my current right side engine cover.
IMG_2260.jpg

It looks like the whole arrangement was holding the release valve open and zero oil was going to the head. So I guess that's mystery solved.

At this point, I'm shipping the cam and followers to Delta tomorrow, I've got a spare good head that I'm going to drop off at the cylinder head shop for a valve grind and a bit of welding, a spare right side engine cover that needs cleaning and painting, and I put in the spare slinger cover. I'm tempted to swap out the oil pump (as I've got one laying around) as well, just to be safe. Also wanted to verify - from what I can see in the fiche, it looks like the oil pressure dump valve arrange is slinger cover->retaining ring->pressure sleeve thing->engine cover?

I'll be putting the stock spring back in there - unfortunately PJ's pictures of the original process (where the pressure disk was widened) were stored on Extortionbucket. Do you guys grind through the little tabs that hit the retaining ring or stick to the wide part of that plate?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
GUYS GUYS! Bike runs. :D
AF7212C2-FEC6-4164-9C3A-F9E1C5E130D7.jpg

She idles a little high and I’ve got a bit more work to do on the carb sync, but she’s back to zipping around Seattle for now! A big thanks to TOOLS for his excellent valve work - highly recommended if you need valve work.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts