Honda Twins banner

I solved my 2nd gear shift problem

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  NOS351WCM 
#1 ·
At 1;30 am my brother and I found the cause of my transmission problem. It was not the transmission

It was everything else. Heres what was bad
Shift detent wheel
Shift drum
Shift forks
2 of 3 shift fork pins were broken

Here is a link to a video explaining the damage. It might be helpful to anyone who has this problem being that it is a common problem.

My only issue now is i am having problems with the fork pins. They do not want to seat all the way down through the fork and into the drum. It gets a little snug towards the end. Its almost like the pins have the slightest taper on them. I will post a video explaining this issue too if anyone would like.

-Dan from South Jersey

#2 ·
The detent problem has been discussed here at great length, lots of photos too........
It's seemingly a very small thing, but seems to cause most shifting glitches on 450's these days.
The actual transmission problem that prompted the "recall" back in the early 70's was pretty much worked out of the system quickly.

Your shift forks and such probably got messed up when an angry shiftless rider tried to force it......

#3 ·
<crossing my fingers and hoping>

i'll be totally be stoked if this resolves my 2nd to 3rd shifting problem!
Thanks for the reminder,
danWI

#4 ·
tbpmusic said:
Your shift forks and such probably got messed up when an angry shiftless rider tried to force it......
Probably. im the 5th owner of the bike. who knows.

Any ideas as to why the fork pins wont go into the fork? The go about half way in, then get really snug. I am NOT going to force anything. With my luck this will come back to bite me in the nads.
I was thinking a little emory cloth?

Any ideas?

-D. Walsh

#5 ·
I am assuming that the forks, drum, and pins were all together once in another engine.
This being said, they should fit with NO alterations......IF they got "burred" somehow I might dress or emory that, but they should realistically just drop back in.... Are you SURE you didn't swap any forks?...The outer two are deceptively similar in appearance.
Also, the labyrinth wears to the specific pin that it WAS actuating....Could you have swapped pin positions?

#7 ·
I think im a candidate for a homer award. The pins werein all the way. I thought they recessed into the forks more, but they dont. When i removed the original pins, some were broken in half, giving me the impression that they actually recessed into the fork....well..they dont. woops live and learn

Now i ran into a problem with installing the shift forks on the drum. Should the drum be at a certain rotational position when installing the forks? Four speed trans only have two(2) shift forks correct? This has 3 so it has to be a 5 speed.
I have posted a link to a video to help better explain it.
A minor bump in the road. little by little ill get this bike complete again.
Thanks
-Dan from South jersey

#8 ·
Can't tell a lot from the video, it looks ok.
Hondas "L" and "R" stamps are referenced to the rider, so things are reversed if you're looking at it upside down.
Be sure the cotters are facing the right way - the rider left cotter goes in with its opening to rider right.
The other two go in opposite.

Rotate the drum/forks until it's in the neutral position - the neutral pin on the (rider left) end of the drum will point straight up referenced to the rider.
While simultaneously holding the center fork up out of the way, manipulate the countershaft into place with the two outside forks and drop it into it's crankcase areas. Make sure the hole in the shaft bearing lines up with the little knock pin in the crankcase.

Now fit in the mainshaft, give it a spin.
Slowly rotate the drum and observe how it all works, pretty cool actually.
You may need to turn one of the shafts slowly to get things to work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.