Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to find a source for a NEW coil for my sl175. Under $50 preferrably. MikesSX shows they're out of stock. Dennis Kirk shows an EMGO dual lead, points-type coil for Kawi and Suzuki. Would this work? As long as it will make the bike run, I can make it mount up.

Even if I could find a used one from a reliable source i'd be happy. I see a few used ones on ebay, but their condition looks questionable.

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I had a great experience with an aftermarket coil off EBay for my CB200.
Works great, a stone-cold boltup, took about 90 seconds to change out.
This one was marketed as half of an old Honda Four setup........

I wouldn't recommend buying a used coil to anyone, personally.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can anyone tell me if this one will work? It looks to be a universal, two-lead, points type coil, but no mention of Honda application. Maybe because it won't bolt right up? I can get it from Dennis Kirk for $43 delivered tomorrow, or I could run down to DK today.

EMGO Universal coil

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Minnesota Driver said:
Can anyone tell me if this one will work? It looks to be a universal, two-lead, points type coil, but no mention of Honda application. Maybe because it won't bolt right up? I can get it from Dennis Kirk for $43 delivered tomorrow, or I could run down to DK today.

EMGO Universal coil
They would work, as long as they're 12 volts, the ad doesn't specifiy.
Don't know about fitment - they sort of look the same, you may luck out there........

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, I got the EMGO coil. It's a high quality looking unit.

Here's my question-- does it matter which wire goes to the ignition switch, and which wire to the condenser? One is yellow and one is black, the yellow is a male bullet connector, the black is female. I can't find anything stamped on the coil (or any old coil I have), nor are there any directions indicating a specific direction of the current. Are these "non-directional" or am I gonna fry something if it's not hooked up right?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Minnesota Driver said:
Okay, I got the EMGO coil. It's a high quality looking unit.

Here's my question-- does it matter which wire goes to the ignition switch, and which wire to the condenser? One is yellow and one is black, the yellow is a male bullet connector, the black is female. I can't find anything stamped on the coil (or any old coil I have), nor are there any directions indicating a specific direction of the current. Are these "non-directional" or am I gonna fry something if it's not hooked up right?
The connectors will tell you what goes where........

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
That appears to be a copy of an early Kawasaki 400/440 coil..... Shouldn't matter which color wire goes where....... The primary windings only ground through the points/condensor, the secondary only grounds (completes its circuit) by "jumping" both the spark plug gaps.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help, guys! The EMGO coil works great. I definitely recommened it to anyone looking for a replacement on these small Honda twins.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts