Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back the starter on my 1980 cm200t stopped working all the sudden, but I let it be since the bike also has a kickstart. Recently I decided to try and figure out what happened. I figured out the problem was either the wire going to the starter or the starter itself, so I got the starter tested and it works fine. I have a multimeter but I have little clue how to use it to test if power is getting to the starter. The whole whether the current is ac or dc is where I get lost.

With a good idea of what was wrong I reinstalled the starter, but I wasn't completely sure I got the starter on to the gear even though it wouldn't go in that far if it hadn't, so I stupidly tried to pull it out just a bit to check, but I pulled it all the way out and pulled the gear off it's resting place. The gear went off the chain and fell into the cover somewhere where I can't see it anymore. I think I'll have to pull the cover off now because even if I fish the gear up I doubt I can get the chain back around it. I'm somewhat certain that I'll need to drain the oil to get the cover off. I need help to make sure that I have all this right.

I know people on here are a lot more familiar with the 400's, I can't imagine they are much different in this area, but if anyone needs pictures I can take some. Thank You!

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
There's actually quite a bit of difference. If you can't somehow fish the gear up and install the chain the the left case cover and more has to come off. Oil drain is first on the list. Do you have the FSM? Pictures are pretty clear in it and directions seem good.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have a FSM at the moment, I had one rented from the library for a long time and took some pictures of some important pages. Now that I know for sure I need to drain the oil I don't think this will be too hard of a fix.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts