Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While trying to get my clutch adjusted on my 1971 CB450, I managed to run into some problems with the clutch adjuster locking bolt. I loosened it to release the clutch adjuster, which was frozen in place (probably due to 40 years sitting in a garage). I didn't know what I was doing, and I was thinking that if I just kept loosening the locking bolt more that the adjuster would move. I wound up completely removing the locking bolt before I realized that the adjuster was frozen, and the locking bolt was not what was keeping it from moving.

When I went to put the locking bolt back in place, it would not thread back in. Whatever it was threading into on the backside of the drive chain cover was either broken, missing, or no longer aligned properly to catch the threads. The bolt just slid back in loose and wallowed around free. So . . . since the adjuster was frozen in place anyway and didn't need a locking bolt to keep it from shifting, I tossed the bolt in the basement, adjusted the clutch the best I could at the clutch cable ends, and kept on riding it like that.

Fast forward a couple of months, and I'm out for a Sunday ride and my clutch adjustment totally fails. I have to limp home with no clutch. I mess with the clutch cable end adjustments again, get the bike mostly functioning, but not as well as I would like. The clutch wasn't releasing as cleanly as I wanted, so I decide to mess with the clutch adjuster again. Using an impact screwdriver I manage to un-freeze the adjuster. But now I'm totally ****ed, because I HAVE NO LOCKING BOLT! The adjuster shifts every time I pull the clutch lever.

No locking bolt = no adjustment = no clutch = no bike.

Wherever I threw it in the basement, I can't find it. And even if I could find it, it wasn't threading back into the bike anyway.

Does anybody know the specs on that bolt? Is it something I can pick up locally? And what should it be threading into on the backside of the drive chain cover? I'm thinking I'm gonna need to pop that off once the rain stops, but I'd kinda like to know what I'm looking for on the other side. Any tips would be totally appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. I checked them out, and could only find Honda parts going back to 77. (Their exploding diagrams with all the parts listings were really useful - if I need anything for one of my newer bikes I'll definitely keep them in mind).

·
Registered
13,085 Posts

·
Registered
3,249 Posts

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
It's just a regular bolt, Alan, nothing special about it unless you're like me and really prefer the factory Honda bolt look as opposed to the pretty, shiny, quality hardware store metric bolt look. I used hardware metric bolts on my intake valve cover because they're not seen as easily, but one look tells you they're not factory. Now, the fork he needs might be harder to find.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is perfect. That schematic will give me an idea of what I'm looking for when I pull the cover. I'm kinda hoping that the retaining fork is still floating around in there somewhere and just needs to be repositioned.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Hope so too, for your sake - I didn't notice if any of them had it in stock, but it wouldn't likely be cheap if they did anyway. I might even have one, I do have one spare front sprocket cover seemingly intact as a last resort

Edit: actually, it's incredibly cheap at cmsnl.com... but there's the 25 Euro shipping to consider

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The rain slowed down for a bit this afternoon so I had a chance to take a look at it. There was a prehistoric tar pit of mud and grease packed behind that cover deep enough to lose a mammoth in. I got lucky and the retaining fork had fallen straight into the muck and was stuck tight waiting for me to pull it out and pop it back in place. I've got a Home Depot bolt holding the whole thing in place, and with the tar pit cleaned out the clutch is activating better than ever. Thanks for the help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts