Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Well, it does look pretty cool and looks like it's well built.

Guarantee to run like **** and LOUD with the shortened exhaust however.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, it does look pretty cool and looks like it's well built.

Guarantee to run like **** and LOUD with the shortened exhaust however.
Didn't notice that, but it does stand out and doesn't have black rims, knobbie tires and a brat seat!

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Didn't notice that, but it does stand out and doesn't have black rims, knobbie tires and a brat seat!

Very true. I'm kinda done with seeing blacked out rims and brat seats.

That said this bike while looking pretty sharp, probably won't ride very well at all.

·
Registered
569 Posts
beautiful bike. looks like an expensive build

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very true. I'm kinda done with seeing blacked out rims and brat seats.

That said this bike while looking pretty sharp, probably won't ride very well at all.
Just read the whole article. I don't understand why the call em cafes. They're customs. A cafes point was to go faster. Id bet 10 to 1 I could ride rings around that with my stocker.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
it's like taking a Porsche and then rip out the engine to replace it with a VW bug engine LOL.
It looks like it would go fast only it won't

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I like the brakes, Suzuki GS750 hubs front and rear... I have been wondering how to get a rear disk on my K5. The tank and tail piece look nice, but the rear hoop is too low and requires the extended swing arm. 21 inch wheels are silly. The riding position looks painful and I wonder how it runs with the short pipes and long intake runners. He didn't use CV carbs, that is a lesson for the Cafe want to bees. I'm with Jay, but I bet I could get it further than 10 feet :)

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I dont care for it and agree with the other members that its all show and no go. That being said I admire a guy who does his own thing, I just hope he wont try to sell it to some one as a rider.

Bill

·
Registered
288 Posts
Lot's of info on how it looks and how it was built. Not one word on how it actually runs ...or burns valves ...or holes pistons. It does look really cool though. And if it really was as powerful as it looks, it would burn that bicycle tire right off the back.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Having seen the bike in person and knowing the owner is quite competent as a builder and a rider I'd say some of you may have to eat your words.

Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to ride with him on his 450 but can say the details are even better than the pics show. My friend is having him do the paint on his custom pre unit Triumph in a few months.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Having seen the bike in person and knowing the owner is quite competent as a builder and a rider I'd say some of you may have to eat your words.

Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to ride with him on his 450 but can say the details are even better than the pics show. My friend is having him do the paint on his custom pre unit Triumph in a few months.
I REALLY like it, call it cafe if you must, and I still bet my stocker would run circles around it:)

·
Registered
3,537 Posts

I didn't say I didn't like it, I just called the 21 inch wheels silly and questioned the tuning. I would like to ride with him and see how it performs against a basically stock CB450 K5.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Well I do know the bike has been on a dyno and dialed in so doubt it will be burning valves and holing pistons. How many here can say that of their own bikes? I can't.

I don't want to own the bike, don't like the exhaust either but plan on using a few of his ideas on my own build. BTW this isn't his first bike to have been given media coverage.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I don't normally get into troll wars but in this case... First, being popular does not indicate any level of competency. The motorcycle media does not just show up because something is cool or interesting. As for the competency of this particular builder I would sight the following. First, look at the photo from above and the alignment of the wheels. Notice anything strange? Where is that 21" rear wheel pointing? In the detail photo of the left side of the bike the left carb is mounted crooked. Maybe to clear something? The clutch actuator is missing it's grease fitting and the drive chain might just be hitting the swingarm. Yes, some of this is nit picking, but I do not think we should continue to promote the pursuit of shi??ty engineering in the motorcycle arena. As I originally said, an art piece. Not a very good one at that.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
It may have been on a dyno to get the carbs setup, but there is no mistaking the headers are to short abd the intake runners are to long. On the 450 the proper intake is 26 inches from the exhaust valve to the collector. On the intake side the inlet is about 8 inches from the intake valve. On this bike the exhaust is about 18 inches and the intake is 10 inches. That tunes the exhaust to a much higher RPM than stock, and the intake to a much lower RPM. An engine can be made to run OK without tuning, but you are throwing horsepower. And yes, a stock CB450 DOHC has gone through a huge development that inclues dyno time. It is developed way beyond what even the best cafe builder could do. The 450 was the first bike to hit 100BHP per Litre displacement.
The modern cafe racer trend it away from its roots of street performance. What Jay says, it is art, even if I think the wheels are silly.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I don't normally get into troll wars but in this case... First, being popular does not indicate any level of competency. The motorcycle media does not just show up because something is cool or interesting. As for the competency of this particular builder I would sight the following. First, look at the photo from above and the alignment of the wheels. Notice anything strange? Where is that 21" rear wheel pointing? In the detail photo of the left side of the bike the left carb is mounted crooked. Maybe to clear something? The clutch actuator is missing it's grease fitting and the drive chain might just be hitting the swingarm. Yes, some of this is nit picking, but I do not think we should continue to promote the pursuit of shi??ty engineering in the motorcycle arena. As I originally said, an art piece. Not a very good one at that.
Well there is just a little irony going on here .....

Pictures vs seeing something in person ..... hmmmm ..... it seems the cognoscente have spoken but based on my personal viewing this bike is well executed and is ridden. The builder built it for himself. Nothing wrong with that when one has the abilities.

As to the building and modification of these bikes those doing so spend many more dollars than those of us doing preservation and restoration. The media and public can view restored vehicles but the quest is always for something different it seems.

As to the performance of the modified engine I have no doubt that the stock setup is hard to improve upon. My point is that it has been dyno tuned to run without destroying itself. Again the builder did it for his purposes.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts