Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So mine is not working obviously but I like kicking it anyway. Just bugs me that it works just randomly and I have to try and fix it. I bought a used one of ebay and find out is as beat as the old one. Oh well $30 down the tubes. It actually has better brushes so I may salvage those. I tear apart the ebay one and the cap end is half filled with dust and dirt I guess from wearing brushes? The little motor end that brushes rub on is flat black and the little lines are filled mostly smooth. I clean it up with a soft wire brush (mistake?), grease the gears and go to test it and it spins once and seems to lock up? Ok, set that a side and will think about that one later.

So I go to the one on the bike, pull the two bolts and the two long screws and carefully pull half of the starter out to avoid pulling the left side cover. I pull the end cap off and once again, full of crap, brushes about half worn but serviceable, can't see any copper on the motor end, what ever it's called. I carefully clean it up with a soft nylon brush, brake cleaner and reassemble being careful align the marks on the case.

Get it back together, hit the button thinking for sure it will work and nothing. I have tapped it before it would kind of work, so I did it and it was about the same, half arse turn or two and stop. Not sure why but I reach down and crank down the 2 long case screws real hard and viola, starter works again? Why would it start working by cranking those down? What is the protocol for cleaning that copper end of the start motor? Should I spin the start when it's out to seat the brushes?

·
Sensei
27,163 Posts
" and the little lines are filled mostly smooth. "...... Those "little lines" are Mica and MUST be properly undercut for the commutator to work....Cleaning the copper wasn't too bad, but you may have damaged the Mica separation beyond use... It could probably be rebuilt, but I have several spares you could have one of for $10 plus shipping .....

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 66, I am going to take the one that is working now all the way apart and clean the armature and end with alcohol and put the good parts from the two together and see what I get. Probably be calling you on the superb deal. Was thinking about a rebuild kit but if the mica is shot, waste of money.

You are the man 66!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: I hate starters, maybe like them now....

Well the clean up seemed to getting it working pretty well. Still going to take it completely apart and clean it up and check the bearings. I like starters now, at least the ones that work. I have a little slack in the throttle you can see.

Video link:
http://s288.photobucket.com/albums/ll18 ... tarter.mp4

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I am really surprised at the difference in the speed of starting with the starter v. the kicker. It seems like a little bump with the starter fires it up versus a few kicks when it's cold.
Ok, I love starters but will still kick it for the "ladies". You have to admit, kick starting is super cool! You don't see that often in public.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
1971 CB450 said:
Ok, I love starters but will still kick it for the "ladies". You have to admit, kick starting is super cool! You don't see that often in public.
Will I impress anyone if I kickstart my C70??
(Whataman!!)
:shock: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tbpmusic said:
1971 CB450 said:
(Whataman!!)
:shock: :lol: :lol:
Uh, sure, some one with a moped. Does it even have a starter?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
1971 CB450 said:

Uh, sure, some one with a moped. Does it even have a starter?
Why of course - we're not savages after all.....

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I decided to clean up my spare Ebay purchase. Took it apart and it was going pretty well. The armature was not as bad as I expected and I wondered why it would not work. It is tricky to get out of the case as the must solder the wires after it's in place. Well I found out why it's not working. Someone cranked on the nut with out holding the second nut and twisted off the leads. One was just barely touching and probably arcing over. One side looks like it did a full turn!

Word to the wise, holding the bottom nut when installing your starter! I will salvage the brushes and mount plate as they are very nice. The armature and bear and planetary gears look ok so I will hold onto those. I guess I could try and solder it back together but I will move on to other projects for now.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts