Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I bought this Norton today. What can I say, I'm a sucker for punishment. Maybe I'll start a project thread here for fun.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
that's not bad... that's insane! :lol: just kidding, they can be badass when right and they apparently handle really well like most British bikes (they just can't outrun a CB750 :D )

·
Registered
581 Posts
I would have bought it. I don't have room for it, but I probably would have anyway. I always need a new "future project". I've never worked on a Norton, but my Triumph has kept the learning curve steep. Not to mention buying a whole new set of tools...

Reactions: ancientdad

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Appreciation for my Hondas will never be higher!

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Looks like the S model(high pipes), nice find. It'll be educational(and somewhat expensive) to get going and a real blast to ride.
003-edited.JPG
They look really good in British Racing Green.

Reactions: markjs

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Better start collecting Whitworth tools.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Actually, the cycle parts are all sae size fasteners, the Britts started switching over in the late sixties. Whitworth fasteners still on the engine/gearbox.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks like the S model(high pipes), nice find. It'll be educational(and somewhat expensive) to get going and a real blast to ride.
View attachment 269194
They look really good in British Racing Green.

Nice bike. I come from a lineage of British car people so this project should be a real treat if I've learned anything.
I've got to check with the old man but there are probably some whitworth wrenches hanging around somewhere.

Late 1970 S with a single mikuni conversion done sometime in the 70s. Need to get a metal tank...

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
There are some Indian-made tanks on the market for reasonable money, quality varies so you have to check around. www.accessnorton.com is a great source of info.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Nice, though I hear they're not very oil tight. I once talked to a guy said if you could rely on anything like the sun coming up in the east, it'd be British bikes leaking oil. He said every time you chase down and fix a leak, another will develop. IDK if that's true, but that guy seemed to think so. Said the same of Ironheads.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice, though I hear they're not very oil tight. I once talked to a guy said if you could rely on anything like the sun coming up in the east, it'd be British bikes leaking oil. He said every time you chase down and fix a leak, another will develop. IDK if that's true, but that guy seemed to think so. Said the same of Ironheads.
It's true, that's how you know they've got oil in em.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Bought one of these new in 1972. Lovely machine. Lots of mpg. Keep the suspension shimmed up close and the handling is fine although I did fit a steering damper to mine.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
I've got three Triumphs and a Norton here(they're full of oil), no oil spots under any of them. You just need to put them together right and they stay dry. There is an oil spot under my Goldwing right now.​

·
Registered
251 Posts
When I bought my new Norton it quickly started oozing oil from the head. Seems a batch of porous heads had been cast that leaked oil from the rockers.
When I contacted Norton-Villiers they said "Take the head off and bring it into the factory so we can test it." So, removed head, 150 mile drive to factory in Andover. Waited while they tested it. Drove home and fitted new head next day.

Can you imagine a maker doing that today!

I don't know if this is general knowledge but HondaPete may benefit from it.
A few people had premature drive side main bearing failure. This was caused by a shifting gearbox resulting in an overtight primary chain.
It was said that tension on the rear chain could cause the gearbox to shift back a little and so tighten the primary. This can be prevented by always ensuring that the last step in adjusting the primary chain was to push the gearbox forward with the adjuster, not backwards. Then the far greater tension of the rear chain cannot pull the box back any more.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Rod, I am open to ALL advice regarding any bike I own, especially the Norton as I have no experience with the make.
I grew up around 60's British automobiles, beautiful machines, old world sensibilities, nothing like British engineering of that era.
A thin coating of oil outside the engine does wonders for rust prevention.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A little follow up just for the hell of it. After a long winter of tearing down and building up. The Norton is back together. Rebuilt almost every part of the bike outside of the bottom and top end which may be done in the future, wanted to see how it ran. Had a fun time rebuilding the gearbox. Anyhow, dripped a little gas in the carb, kicked and kicked and it came alive, if only for a moment. Here's are some fun photos ? cause everyone likes photos!!
IMG_20190412_220109_1555182464189.jpg
IMG_20190122_182030_01_1555182586045.jpg
IMG_20190302_135125_1555182620412.jpg
IMG_20190201_161235_1555182705827.jpg
Screenshot-20181120-185644-2_1555182775949.jpg
IMG_20190406_160324_1555182824681.jpg
IMG_20181229_140512_1555182916509.jpg

1 - 20 of 23 Posts