Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, I've really been on a roll here lately. It seems every time I inquire about a discontinued part,
or ask the price for a reproduction, I get the proverbial "OMG" :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
For my CB200 mini-cafe project I have made up my mind to utilize the front wheel from a CL200; dual-leading shoes and the hub/brake size is larger that the CB160/175. Well enough.
Just assuming I will need new brake shoes for the CL, I checked all the online parts places and found that the CL200 shoes have been discontinued. No big surprise here; just hoping I would get lucky.
Wanting new brakes to go along with the rest of the front end (more on that later), I sent an email to vintagebrakes.com. I had heard of their very fine reputation so I sent an inquiry about having my shoes re-lined.
Below is that shocking reply I got to my questions:

> I am in need of a set of FRONT brake shoes for a 1974 Honda CL200.
According to two different on-line parts sites the CL200 shoes are no longer available.
My question to you is can you replicate the shoes if I sent them to you?

I can reline and arc your cores, starting at $210.95.

> I might also be interested in getting the drum relined if I can afford it.

I can turn it, but if you need a new liner, then you'll have to send the hub to England. Sounds like you should consider replacing the wheel with one off another Honda, unless it has to be "correct".

Sincerely,
Michael "Mercury" Morse

Are you kidding me?????????????????????/ A new set of CL200 brake shoes "starting" at over $200????????????????????????/
Give me a break!!!!!!! (No pun intended!!!)

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
That's true, sadly they are NLA.

But it's the same part on all CB/CL 175, as well as SL350.
Maybe that will help in some way..
Alternate part number would be a 235 number......

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many Thanks for the info Bill.
Man, that makes things a bit easier. :cool:
Btw, I have acquired a complete front end from a 1994 EX250. This morning I took the axle from the 'lil Ninja and stuck it through the CL hub. Much to my surprise the axle diameter is exactly the same the CL uses. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Needless to say I have ordered a bearing/seal kit for the CL hub.
Now to get just as lucky with the steering stem!
Doesn't matter though. I just bought myself a 12-ton press. You know, "The one that dies with the most tools wins." I have my heart set on using front and rear vintage spoke wheels on modern suspension components.
I think I have found the correct aluminum swingarm to implement on the CB200 rear. It is from a CR80R; just slightly longer than the CB arm and less-than-slightly wider than the CB stocker, and it weighs much less the oem swingarm. :cool:
I will continue to post progress notes when I have the time to spend on her.

On a final note, I am going to have Buchanan's reproduce the CL200 spokes. While I'm waiting for the spokes to arrive I'm going to have the hub, fork legs and triple tree(s) powdercoated. PC-ing the frame will come later.
Bill, Thanks Again for the brake info. You ARE the man!
Jim

·
Sensei
27,163 Posts
Jim, My friend and I are still working up on your swingarm, but I have to interject about the Brakes as I believe you are incorrect about the drum sizes you are discussing....
From my info...(diameters measured across unexpanded shoes)
CB175 and CL 200.................... ~5 3/4" to 5 7/8"
CB/CL160, CB/CL 350................ ~6 3/8" (350 brakes are wider, so greater swept area)
CB/CL77 (305), and CB/CL 450.... ~7 7/8" (450 brakes are wider)

You may remember this discussion from the brake upgrades on my daughter's 90....

66Sprint said:
UPDATE....
I have made a decision (but would appreciate everyones input).... I think I'm going to run a smaller DLS drum on the 90....
First pic is a 350 wheel/drum ...It's only an inch smaller in diameter, but "fits" (in my opinion) SO MUCH better from an asthetics view... (Plus, I can save the 305 hub for my "Vintage Look" 175).... :D
Second pic is the "massive" 305 drum, Third is the smaller yet, (but still a lot bigger than stock) 175 hub,will also have a smaller tire....

Here is the 350 wheel fitted...I will be running a smaller tire (a 2.50 vs the 3.00 that's in the pic)....

I think it is more appropriate than this:(excuse the repeat)

Now the 175 hub....

Now the question....What do you think?... Is the 350 hub enough of a "better" balance with the stock rear, or should I go another 3/4" down in diameter and run the 175 hub? (both will require about the same amount of "fitting/modifying")

T.I.A. Steve
BTW, I probably can send you some used but good CL 175 shoes if you need them....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just a note here...EBC brakes has an amazing line up, and there are stocks all OVER the world from EBC. It may do you some good to find the original cross-reference part number from Honda pads to the EBC's, and then search for the EBC part number instead of just searching for the pads for the make/model/year of the bike. We've helped several customers do this with old bikes, Chinese and off brand models as well. Chains, brakes, batteries...all those types of parts which after market companies produce can be found this way. Reason being is that ALL dealerships in the USA use the same inventory computer program. Once those parts are updated (usually at least once a year, sometimes once a quarter) and there are parts listed as NLA, it will NEVER return in a parts search. However, if you can track back, find the original part number cross-overs, and then search the aftermarket companies with the part number instead of the bike details, you can USUALLY find such things. Good luck!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
66Sprint said:
Jim, My friend and I are still working up on your swingarm, but I have to interject about the Brakes as I believe you are incorrect about the drum sizes you are discussing....
From my info...(diameters measured across unexpanded shoes)
CB175 and CL 200.................... ~5 3/4" to 5 7/8"
CB/CL160, CB/CL 350................ ~6 3/8" (350 brakes are wider, so greater swept area)
CB/CL77 (305), and CB/CL 450.... ~7 7/8" (450 brakes are wider)

BTW, I probably can send you some used but good CL 175 shoes if you need them....
Steve, I'm going to stick with the CL hub and brakes for the time being. Once it's all together I can always change to the 350 wheel if I deem the brakes aren't good enough. Besides, until I get the swingarm issue figured out I don't want the front tire to be wider than the rear. :lol:
I'll let you know if/when I need those shoes.
Thanks for everything.
Jim

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
The seller I posted on here with Ferodo brake pads/shoes may have them. Cheap too??

A quick email would tell the tale. He has a very large amount of stock.

GB :mrgreen:

·
Sensei
27,163 Posts
Jim, I believe the rim widths are the same on the 350 and 175 front wheels.... I'll double check.....

·
Registered
65 Posts
Here in Denver, Colorado I can get my shoes relined for bout $20usd per set! Its cheaper than buying IF you can find them! Also Im currently using 72 CL350 rear shoes on a 69 SL350 seem to work GREAT!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts