Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have replaced my cylinder gaskets twice now to no avail. Oil is still seeping out the seems of the motor and onto the crank case. The latest change is leaking much much less, but but the time I ride 15 miles to work there's spots of oil pooling up on the case and somehow on the fins.

In the latest fix I put all new gaskets between the cylinder head and the case and the valve head, coated all sides of the gaskets in car-grade gasket maker and even replaced the rubber rings around the cylinders themselves.

This is getting pretty frustrating! Any tips?

IMG_20180820_173600.jpg

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Never use RTV on a motorcycle engine! It is a death sentence for them. Did you check your head for warpage? It is very common for these heads to warp, and that will make them hard to seal. Another problem I have encountered on these models is the threads stripped out in the case for the head bolts. And some of the repairs I have seen have been really comical. Did you put the bolts with the rubber collar in the correct holes?
TOOLS

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
The picture is showing the leak at the outer rear bolts where the rubbers go on the dowels to seal the oil passage. Were the dowels sort of loose in the head and cylinder? They should be loose enough you can easily pull them out of either side. If they were not that way there's the possibility that the head hasn't fully seated due to bind. Might try re-torquing the head bolts.
All the gaskets on this engine are installed dry, no sealer needed and if used could cause problems.

·
Registered
189 Posts
:eek: Hold on here... I have this same problem in the same exact location! I was starting to think it was the cam-chain tensioner, but the problem persists. Being that I paid no attention to the placement of the rubber seals, It could very well be that. I had my cylinders worked on and flattened a year ago, so...crossing my fingers that it is not warped.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My engine (CM400T) was leaking oil from the same position, and none of my bolts had the rubber seals on, substituted the 2 center-left bolts with the correct ones with rubber seals and no oil has been seen anymore...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts