Honda Twins banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Columbus, Ohio!
Sunday I picked up a 1969 Honda CL350 scrambler for my wife. She has been wanting a classic bike for a while now, and an awesome deal come up for this bike so I jumped at it. It has about 14k miles and is almost entirely stock. I haven't been over it with a fine tooth comb yet, but everything seems to be in order. I rode it home (almost an hour) and had no problems at all.
It will need new tires soon, and my wife would like a slightly thinner/narrower seat, but we'll see about that. ;) She rides a 2012 Suzuki 250X, so it might take some time to get used to the 'rawness' of a vintage bike.
I currently ride a '71 CB750 cafe racer and a 2014 Triumph Thruxton.

If any of you see anything out of order with this bike please let me know. I posted a few extra photos in my CL350 album. I don't know much about the CL350 yet, but I'm looking forward to learning!

Kevin

Attachments

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
That's a very nice bike! The side covers are from a later model - they shouldn't have the vents. The seat also looks to have been re-padded/re-covered. The stock seats back then weren't so "plump". Here's an original '69 seat on mine.

P1020034.jpg

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Welcome - looks pretty good, mostly original and seems to be in decent shape. Looks to have been repainted, close to original style but a color that is a little different than the stock Daytona Orange (but seems close, although it could be the pics). I see a few shortcuts in the "freshen-up" category like the painted centerstand spring along with the stand itself but structurally it looks pretty original. Nice find... the seat foam can be shaved down a little to accommodate a shorter body type of a rider, and if necessary you can put shorter shocks on the rear to lower it a tad too.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
CAREFUL!!!.... you are treading on THIN ICE...:)
2 years ago my wife and I attended the DGR..I rode, she took photos.. and caught the "bug"...she decided she wanted to ride next year, by herself...
Started her off with a older 250 Rebel (I would HIGHLY recommend this for any new inexperienced rider)...she got comfortable enough to take her riding test without me knowing and passed.. After hanging out at MOTO, and the DGR experience, she expressed a desire for a vintage Honda. 2 Cb450s later... things have changed in a whole other direction..
I recently sold my softail and acquired a 17 Tr*umph Bobber... (i have a old 65 Bonnie she likes to ride but can't kick start)..
... here is what I mean... DONT LET HER RIDE THAT THRUXTON!!!!
Unless you plan on buying another!!!..
All joking aside.. it's awesome to see others keeping this hobby alive..
Post some pics and let us know how things progress ..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tip on the side covers - I didn't know that. I'll probably keep them for now as I kind of like the look of the vents.
As for the seat, it looks like it was redone at some point. Since she wants a 'less bulky' seat I guess I need to go in search of...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can you tell us more about the saddle bags? How do they attach? Would they fit a 175?
I haven't gotten into the saddle bag mounting yet, but I believe he said he used leather dog collars as straps. I'll let you guys know once I take it apart to see how it was put on.
As for fitting another bike, I have no idea...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CAREFUL!!!.... you are treading on THIN ICE...:)
2 years ago my wife and I attended the DGR..I rode, she took photos.. and caught the "bug"...she decided she wanted to ride next year, by herself...
Started her off with a older 250 Rebel (I would HIGHLY recommend this for any new inexperienced rider)...she got comfortable enough to take her riding test without me knowing and passed.. After hanging out at MOTO, and the DGR experience, she expressed a desire for a vintage Honda. 2 Cb450s later... things have changed in a whole other direction..
I recently sold my softail and acquired a 17 Tr*umph Bobber... (i have a old 65 Bonnie she likes to ride but can't kick start)..
... here is what I mean... DONT LET HER RIDE THAT THRUXTON!!!!
Unless you plan on buying another!!!..
All joking aside.. it's awesome to see others keeping this hobby alive..
Post some pics and let us know how things progress ..
I hear you! She's actually been riding for about 15 years and just recently decided she wanted to add a vintage stallion to the mix. She'll never want to ride the Thruxton as it's too tall for her (which is fine by me). :grin:

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Thanks for the tip on the side covers - I didn't know that. I'll probably keep them for now as I kind of like the look of the vents.
As for the seat, it looks like it was redone at some point. Since she wants a 'less bulky' seat I guess I need to go in search of...
Yes, like ancientdad said, you can probably remove the cover, shave the foam down, and put the cover back on to fit the lowered foam. There are shorter shocks available that look a lot like the originals, too.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Gotta get rid of that black bread loaf! Wish someone would buy me a scrambler. Your wife is a lucky lady, you guys are gonna have fun with that bike.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here are the shocks I bought for mine to lower it about 1.5"

https://4into1.com/emgo-black-with-chrome-spring-shorty-shocks-eye-to-clevis-290mm-11-4/

or if you want to keep a similar stock look, these

https://4into1.com/emgo-chrome-shorty-shocks-eye-to-clevis-290mm-11-4/

Great to see a lady ride, I envy the guys here whose wives and girlfriends do - it's a great thing to do together. I can barely get my wife on the back of my V65, maybe 3 times in the last couple years... good for you!
That may be the ticket. Thanks ancientdad!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts