Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone I'm about to buy a "82 honda cb400" i have done some searching online and can't find any bike that year that looks like this any help would be great this would be for a first time project so any info on weather or not this would be a good first time project would help also thanks in advance

he said i could pick it up for $400 apparently it ran before but has stopped due to an electrical problem 00V0V_iJzDrXwsdgS_600x450.jpg

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
It looks like it may be a 1982 CM450E but a quick look at the serial plate on the headstock would tell you more.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if i ask the guy for the vin how do i go about checking out what it reads the guy is 5 hours away i was going to leae early in the morning to pick it up tomorow but if he dosent know what the bike is i might just try to stay local and forget about it

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
It's definitely a CM "E" model, CB rear shocks are different and E's have spoke wheels/drum brakes. Plus the side cover mountings are a CM
Engine color indicates it's a 400 nit could be a 450. Left rear of the cylinder at the base will say 395cc for a 400 or 447cc for a 450
VIN's can be looked at here Honda Gallery
I wouldn't pay more than $400, probably half that considering the condition and workmanship I can see

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks thats really helpful i think i might pass on this one it looks like they may have done things to it without knowing to much

·
Registered
681 Posts
The picture to me shows this bike is a rat, worthy to be a boat anchor. This guy should pay you to haul it away!

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
$500 sounds within reason for the Lost Wages area. The exhaust, Mac 2-1 system, sells for @$250. Not sure about running clip-ons but they may be ok. Hopefully he has all the take off parts and will throw those in with it.
Only real concern is the title issue. Contact your local DMV office and confirm a notarized Ohio title will work and also get a bill of sale and a "statement of facts" explaining the sale of the bike and any issues like unpaid registration fees, etc. CA DMV has those forms online if you're from CA.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts