Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an informational post......
I will soon be building the carry arm assemblies to allow conversion from mechanical to fluid calipers...... Included in the kits will be a master with brake switch, the hose and a small hydraulic caliper.... essentially a "bolt-on" replacement for the mechanical assemblies......
From all the CB200 owners that have expressed a need to replace their existing caliper, presumably the first five or six units might have already found a home.....

IF you would be interested, Please e-mail me as [email protected] and let me know.... Cost to produce one assembly is about $135+, but this could be considerably reduced by fabrication /ordering components in batches..... I hope to be able to sell the completed assemblies at right at $100, plus shipping..... New master, new caliper, new hose, and new switch, plus of course, the custom carry arm

However, there is no need for me to produce more than one if no one else is interested, so let me know...... Steve

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Any of you who have ever had need of any of these parts, let alone all of them, will recognize what a good deal this is. If I had need of one I'd sure jump on it.

Disclaimer:

I do solemnly swear that I am in no way related to Mr Sprint nor have we ever met in person or communicated in any way other than the reading of each others posts on this forum.

I only piped up because I know a good deal when I see one.

Sometimes.

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmmm.......... not a single response!!?? (other than JT)... I was hoping for some member feedback........ I guess I'll just be fabricating a one-off system.... (Surprising because so many CB 200 owners SEEMED to have problems with the mechanicals, either in adjusting or finding/replacing parts)......Oh Well!...I'll build it anyway!.....Here's some of the (used) components (Kits would be all new components) I have to choose from for the prototype.....I'm thinking the dual piston caliper and the "silver" master (its lever looks closest to stock Honda levers).... ANY opinions or comments?.... help me out guys!..... Steve

·
Registered
20 Posts
My CB200 still has the stock caliper in functional condition. The only reason I can't commit to buying a kit now is that the bike is not running. I haven't ridden it enough to know just how good or bad the stock caliper is. However, judging from everyone else's descriptions, the stock setup is lacking. So all I can say is that I will probably need one in the next few months.

Thanks
Kenolds.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was having issues with my mechanical caliper but between the 3 used ones I have been able to acquire I got a decent working front brake. It functions but the brake is weak by any standard. If I had not recently discovered my gearbox issues with this bike, I would be in for a conversion kit for the extra braking power.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: Hydraulic conversion kit for CB 200 front disc brakes..

Hey,

I would be interested in getting some more details - I just bought a 74 CB200T last year and I have noticed the weak front brake. How easy would installation be? This is my first motorcycle and I've been looking forward to finding ways to improve it!

Cheers,
Adam

·
Registered
205 Posts

I'll send the info to a buddy of mine that just bought a CB200 for his wife and isn't in love with the front brake (especially for her).

·
Registered
81 Posts

I realize that this is an old post, but I'd gladly pay $100 to have a hydraulic front brake on my 200.

·
Registered
24 Posts

I'm also wanting this for my CB200! Please let us know what you did, how it worked out...

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Still working on this.... I have an empty stock cable unit (Thanks to Jason Moore) but only have a CB200 wheel and 175 forks to work with, so it is requiring extra careful measurement and double checks..... I'm also prototyping with the caliper I used on the 90, which used a thinner rotor, so will have to compensate for the additional rotor thickness...
Might to be able to have a pic of the mock-up this coming week..... Sorry it's taking so long, but can't be to careful when lives will depend on it working properly every time...... ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts

I just bought a cb200 myself and it definitely needs a new brake. I could get a cl175 front disc but I would love to have this original disc on there. I'll be watching to see when you have the kinks worked out.

·
Registered
26 Posts

I was in contact with 66 sprint about building a kit cor my cb125 which is basically the same brake as the 200. I sent him one of my brakes to work with. I recived a few emails after that but have not heard back from him in months now. I think i might try and track down his number and give him a call. I would really like one for my bike.

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I initially intended to mount the caliper to the rear of the fork leg, (using the calipers I had examples of from my C 200 project) but clearance issues once the "carry-arm" is mounted make fabricating the arm an overly expensive proposition.
I now believe it would be expeditious to simply mount them as the original units are, but would need to buy a new caliper (mirror image of the one I have) to mock/fabricate the simpler arm that mounts it.

Personal financial problems have kept me from getting that caliper assembly that I need to go forward on this project..... I simply can't currently afford to spend $200+ proto-typing this at the current time....I haven't quit, just have to shelve it temporarily.....My apologies to the interested parties, but until I scrounge enough together to complete this, I'm at a standstill.... Steve

·
Registered
26 Posts

Thanks for the update steve. Would it be possible to just flip the wheel around, and build the caliper setup for the other side? Just an idea.

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

ffjmoore said:
Thanks for the update steve. Would it be possible to just flip the wheel around, and build the caliper setup for the other side? Just an idea.
No, the other slider does not have the third mount point, and flipping the forks as well would still place it in the same position relative to the slider, just a different angle relative to the ground...... It can be done, but the arm (bracket) ends up crude and ugly looking (not something I'd want on my bike).... I'm going for strong AND attractive....

·
Registered
74 Posts

did anything come of this in the end guys??? id be proper interested, as iv been searching the net for days for possible forks, calipers and self assembling my own master cylinder and lever etc to fit instead. the cb200 lowers are pants for an easy fluid caliper swop!! iv just bought some cb250 nighthawk forks, due to the left side lower haveing atleast something decent to work with. but if the conversion kit is out there, would save me tones of grieff!!!!!

im curently looking at a twin pot brembo which is a floating caliper for the back clearance to the spokes....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120824967657? ... 500wt_1202

similar to the ones your trying to use in the pics! im thinking id be asking for more trouble if i try and fit the cb250 forks over trying to somehow find some decent mount points on the cb200s lowers tbh. so im well up for this conversion kit.
need funds thrown in to fabricate???

:D

·
Registered
212 Posts

I gave up on waiting for this conversion kit to happen and ended up swapping out my mechanical front brake on my CB200 for a CB175 front wheel and drum brakes.

·
Registered
26 Posts

dont hold your breadth. I sent him a caliper months ago to work off of but he still didnt build a conversion.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts