Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one played with a hydraulic clutch actuator mod for a 450? I was thinking along the lines of fitting a sleeve and piston/seal into the original sprocket cover hole.

·
Registered
363 Posts
why? (for gee whiz and just to see if I could are both valid answers in my book ;)

·
Registered
785 Posts
I can for a boatload of cash get a hydraulic clutch mod for my 79 CBX, so I am sure you could get it done if you really wanted to.
It would be trick as hell but, it would be overkill big time.
I have a Magura hydraulic clutch set up for a CB1100F out in my tool box that I would not use because I did not want to lose my left side Euro switch with a flash to pass button just like the switch on my CBX today.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
On my old RC51 Race bike I used the hydraulic clutch for one season then spent a bunch of money to convert it over to a cable operated system for better feel during starts. Once I completed that mod I was actually able to be in the top two or three in the first turn. Prior, the clutch was so grabby I was lucky to be in the top five to the first turn.

·
Registered
785 Posts
MNellis said:
Prior, the clutch was so grabby I was lucky to be in the top five to the first turn.
My Blackbird hydro clutch is grabby like that, very annoying at the drag strip. :evil:

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Properly adjusted, a 450 clutch is smooth as glass and a relatively "light" pull.....
If you are modifying for a "weak" hand (the wife or girlfriend maybe?), an adjustable lever like the "ninja" bikes use is an easier/better cure.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi, thanks for the feedback people. The reason for the Question was I that I was just thinking ahead, as the old screw actuator is getting worn and as the are hard to come by I"m looking for solutions to the problem. I"d have to agree that the OME clutch feel is good as gold and I like it. I've never ridden a bike with A hyd clutch, so will take the advice as good, Why mess with a good thing!
cheers.
Steve.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
You're much better off replacing factory parts with new ones for much less money than trying to setup a hydraulic system. If you were going to though, and you just have to throw money at it, I can personally recommend the Magura setup. I had that on a KTM that I had at one time and it was smooth as butter and easy to pull. The main thing I noticed is you don't get the same "feedback" with it as you do a cable, so it took some getting used to.

I saw a NOS "screw actuator" on Ebay just a week ago or so..

GB :mrgreen:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts