Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My CL450K6 fuel tank makes a humming sound when passing through or staying at 3200 RPM and on the road. I thought it might have lost freedom of movement or was rubbing against a clutch cable. Is more noticeable the lower the fuel tank level.

Has annoying else noticed the same and found a solution?

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
That must be very annoying. I can see why you want to fix it. I think what you are hearing is a harmonic reaction to induced vibration. That bike didn't come from the factory like that. I would take the tank off and look for loose bolts ar misrouted cables or wires. Does it change when you put your hand on the tank? If it does look at that area for loose or ride areas.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
woah, how do you hold steady at 3,200rpm? what gear and what speed? Mine would be at 5,500+rpm in 4th at quick speeds. just wondering...

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is when I pass through 3200 rpm on a city street, maybe 30 MPH, I forget which gear. I had it years back and now it has returned. Yes, a sympathetic vibration. I don't think it is because the front rubber supports are hard after all these years. I drive this every day, 200 days or 4000 miles/year.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found the tank back from the front rubber mounts by around 1/8". Pushing it forward made most of the humming go away.

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
Solution is to spray the inside of the tank tunnel underside with car undercoating, and let it dry...... Some of the noise IS less resilient (older) rubber tank mounts...Or tank improperly installed into the rear cushion/touching the metal clips......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts