Honda Twins banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! Sorry my intro is a little late. My name is Hayden and I am from central Texas. My wife and I are at the tail end of a 3yr frame off restoration of a vintage airstream. Once complete with that project, we plan to travel for several years while we work remotely. I was never a motorcycle guy (if you exclude the Honda Express II that I had as a kid). It dawned on me last year that I could fit a small motorcycle in the bed of my truck and protect it with a camper shell, which would give me an extra mode of transportation while on the road. Since then, my wife and I both got our class M licenses and purchased a 1975 Honda CB200t. It's been a great little bike so far and I am 100% hooked on motorcycles now! I love designing and fabricating, but have never caught the auto mechanics bug (until now). With that said, I have a lot to learn from you "seasoned" gents ;)! As of this posting, I have restored the inside of the gas tank, cleaned the petcock, carbs, updated the reg/rec with a newer combo unit (by charlies place), installed an LED winker relay (all bulbs including headlight have been changed to LED), & have installed a new battery and fuel lines. The charging system is working great now, and I've pretty much fixed the electrical nightmare that the POs left me with. I have changed some of the crumbled engine seals, but I still have minor leaks all over. My next big projects will be a complete engine tear down, and an entire electrical system overhaul (using the M-Unit by motogadget). I'm very excited to join the group here and thank you all for your help on my journey to becoming a gear head junkie!!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Welcome to the forum ! Sounds like you are going to know your bike inside and out ! That's good.
I'm curious about the Airstream project. We're there many mouse condo's behind the walls ? I tried to mouse proof ours, but never was successful. Little buggers can walk through walls I think. What for insulation did you put back in the walls ? There's only about an inch and a half, I think ?
Best,

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks OldTwinsRock, glad to be here! There was indeed some horrible treasures waiting in the walls! I remember demoing in the West Texas, summer heat. I had HEPA respirators and gloves duct taped to my sleeves haha. After I demoed everything, I sealed every seam and rivet from the inside with Sikaflex and then re-ran all new electrical. After that, I took it to a commercial spray foam company and had 1" of closed cell spray foam shot on the whole thing. Like you said, the ribs are only 1-5/8" so you really don't have much of a cavity to accrue an impressive R-Value. I'm fighting myself on a daily basis to finish that Airstream before I go HAM on the CB200. It's a dangerous and expensive venture overlapping passion projects, but I'm sure you know all about that! :)

·
Registered
451 Posts
Welcome......sounds like you have a plan.

Pictures are a must here, and not just of the motorcycle project.

Be nice to see that vintage air stream as well.

Good Luck with both vintage projects.

Must have posted pictures as I was typing.

Nice looking bike.........

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks Budlite282 (BTW, sorry I'm a Coors guy :cool:)! As requested, here's a few shots of the airstream. Thankfully, we're a lot further along since these, but they seem to be the most up to date shots that I have. Also, we have started a channel on youtube. Here are our links
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thefreerenegade/
Mitty_1.jpg
Mitty_2.jpg
Mitty_3.jpg

·
Registered
309 Posts
Welcome, and very nice Airstream and CB200!
I've always loved those CB200 tanks, with the pleated leather (vinyl?) center strip. You have two awesome projects going, that's for sure.
Keep up the good work! And keep the great pics coming!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
I’ll get the obvious out of the way and say Nice Airstream! If you can do half as well with the CB200 as you did with the camper then you will have no problems. They are fairly easy to work on, especially if you have the factory service manual. You do have the FSM, right? If not, ask and someone should provide you a link to download. One question, I guess your bike is a CB that the PO put CL pipes on? Either way it looks good and you are certainly off to a good start. Ancientdad will be pleased you posted a proper intro including good, zoomable photos!:p

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’ll get the obvious out of the way and say Nice Airstream! If you can do half as well with the CB200 as you did with the camper then you will have no problems. They are fairly easy to work on, especially if you have the factory service manual. You do have the FSM, right? If not, ask and someone should provide you a link to download. One question, I guess your bike is a CB that the PO put CL pipes on? Either way it looks good and you are certainly off to a good start. Ancientdad will be pleased you posted a proper intro including good, zoomable photos!:p
Thanks 12ozPBR! I do have the FSM (thanks to one of the senior members here). I've read it front to back a couple times already lol. So much good info to absorb! Until you mentioned it, I didn't even think about the pipes being from a CL; I wasn't sure if the CB came w/ either option from the factory (is it obvious that I'm a noob?:confused:)) Being that they were both 200cc bikes, is it unlikely that the CL swapped exhaust could cause irregularity in back pressure on my CB as compared to the factory designed CB exhaust?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Thanks Budlite282 (BTW, sorry I'm a Coors guy :cool:)! As requested, here's a few shots of the airstream. Thankfully, we're a lot further along since these, but they seem to be the most up to date shots that I have. Also, we have started a channel on youtube. Here are our links
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thefreerenegade/
View attachment 288030
View attachment 288032
View attachment 288034
Very nice, would love to have one of those Airstreams....................................yea, have to say, I'm a Coors guy myself. Actually was budlite for the longest, but my sister got me hooked on Coors, years ago.........wanted to change the name, but don't know how.

·
Super Moderator
9,292 Posts
Welcome guys - I just watched your video this morning and I am impressed with your dream, your work ethic and your progress so far. It's a lot of likely unexpected effort you've put into the Airstream, and the results speak for themselves... beautiful. I'm not one to follow very much of the YouTube life out there, but yours is certainly intriguing and I'll be checking in on it often to watch your progress. And thanks for the great introduction and for doing it the right way with some great pictures too. Once you make your way to the southeast, you'll have to make a swing into Florida so we can have a beer and maybe ride to the local Sunday morning hangout in my area... make it in the cooler months so riding will actually be enjoyable!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks so much sir! Our first stop will likely be in gulf shores AL. or maybe North/West Florida (to sit out the winter before pushing up to Pacific NW). I would love to run down the coast and meet up with you. And beers will be on me (the least I could do for all your help with this restoration)!! I'm so excited to meet up other vintage motorcycle enthusiast!
Have a good week!
-Hayden

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very nice, would love to have one of those Airstreams....................................yea, have to say, I'm a Coors guy myself. Actually was budlite for the longest, but my sister got me hooked on Coors, years ago.........wanted to change the name, but don't know how.
A good lady that sister of yours is! ;)

·
Registered
451 Posts
^^^^ha ha^^^ Yes she is. She still yearns for her little CB125 she had years ago.

I'm considering giving her this little CB100 I'm building........we'll see.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts