Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks!! Whata GREAT site!! Andf I already found the manual; for the 500T Ive been looking for!! SCORE!! :D

A little about me...Im 49, father (x3), grandfather (x4) and happily married to my bride(x1 :D ) for 29 years so far.

Ima disabled ex trucker and to have alittle something to do with my time and as Im able physically I tinker a bit with old bikes and try to bring em back to road worthiness. Nuthin fancy mind you but just nice lookin reliable old rides folks are proud to ride ya know?

So far my Son and i have brought a 79 CX500 back that he rides everyday :cool: , and ive got a 79 750F SS with 27K thats about 85% done after sleepin for 12 years :p :cool: . And...as of last week we picked up a "running" 75 CB500T with 16 K on her thats...well...been basically started and given up on.
After about 5 hours of just fixin mistakesm cleaning things and hookin stuff up right..Weve now got it runnin pretty decent and it just needs some cosmetic work, some routine maint, a new RH cover gasket, anda LOT of elbow grease and fixing a PO's (who had no idea what he was doing) half baked fixes.
For the $200 we gave, plus what little parts we need ,Its gonna be a real nice decent priced bike for someone in the not to distant future. :D

Ive had all kindsa bikes my whole life and this is just somehting I love to do, and... it keeps me out of trouble..well..sorta. :D :D :D

Plus...I get to meet a whole bunch of neat folks like you all here! :cool:

GREAT site and I cant wait to get to know you all a bit better and have some fun! :cool: :cool:

Ill try and get some pics ASAP.. and my camera decides to work.
Randy

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
Welcome Randy, would love to see some pics of the bikes when you camera wakes up. Must be nice to work on a project bike with your son. I hope to one day.

Don't mean to pry but does your disability prevent you from riding?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Welcome to the group!
My son's 4 and he's already helping with the bike. Can't wait until he can read the sizes of wrenches and sockets(we're working on it!) I wouldn't mind a 500t again someday...but the 360 comes first. :)
Show us the pics! We LOVE pics! :D

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well THANKS Folks for the very warm welcome and Im glad to be here! :cool: :cool: :cool:

Ill try and talk nice to the cam and maybe it will cooperate. Now WHY cant everything be as simple as these old bikes to work on?? ;) ;)

360 (BTW GREAT lookin lil guy there bud) and Deacon, even though my son (hes the youngest boy) is now 24 (anda gearhead as much as me)he's been my little helper since he was about 4 or 5 too. And fellas, there is NOTHING like working with your son (or daughter) and those are memories that will last for EVER! :cool: Teach him, but most of all ,make it fun guys. Let him get his hands dirty, and make sure you answer all those dumb questions that we laught at and youll have a buddy for life that will enjoy these things as much as you do. Theres just nothing more enjoyable, and my son and I have more of a freind relationship now that he's older ,than a father/son thing going now, and..thats really neat. :cool: :cool:
Now, his son (my Gson Jonny), whos 6, is out there with us most days and guys..thats a real hoot! :lol:

Deacon no, its not prying and I dont mind you (or anyone) asking.But sadly ..Yes it does at least for now.
(WARNING: Boring medical stuff now, so bypass if your not interested)
Ive got severe osteo arthritis, and its in my knees especially bad (13 total surgeries and now I have a pain pump installed internally that injects pain drugs directly into my spine that really helps take some of the pain away)and there is nothing more they can do for them.. It also affects my hips and back as well but not as bad. I also have Degenerative Disc Disease in my back as well as Peripheral Artery Disease in my legs which cause them to swell if they are down for a long time. These I can live with, its mostly just the knees thats the problem.

Dont ever hesitate to bring it up guys. It is what it is and Im OK with life. :)

I made a ramp and bench that I put bikes on in the garage that allows me to sit in a chair at about mid engine height to work on them. The only real problems I have then is getting down on my knees if need be, and thats were my son comes in.It just takes a willing attitude and patience as it takes me a bit longer than most to get things done. Like i said..I really enjoy it and can spend all day in the garage and find somehting to do. :D

I bought the SS to ride, I just really want somehting that I can take a Sunday cruise on or an evening drive with the wife like we used to, but, it is simply too tall for me to get on and off without a LOT of pain. The CX was just really uncomfortable I think due to that wide engine splaying my legs out.

I guess im gonna need a trike ,or, something with a very low seat height to be able to get on and off comfortably.Unfortunately any trikes Ive seen are FAR outside my billfolds contents for the long term future :oops:, so, a bike will have to fill the bill for me . Sooo..Ill keep looking and trying em on for size until I find something I can ride comfortably. Maybe a 450 rebel or something of that nature would do it??
And..I will eventually :cool: I will ride again. ;)

Until then , Ill just enjoy bringiing them back from the dead, working with my son,hearing that first roar after many years on start up, and then enjoy seeing them go down the road at fulll song and looking good.

And I really do enjoy that. :cool:

Randy :cool:

Hope that didnt bore anyone, or was TMI or anything. Im just saying there are ways to get around things and make do.It just takes a little longer, or you improvise. :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
134 Posts
dang i was hoping someone else close to me with a cx to boot!!!! just maped where geneva was and dangit!!!! glad to have you on board

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Rman!! :cool:

Yep, I know exactly where LaPorte is. Used to drive thru there all the time on the truck. In fact my oldest son lives a lil closer 2 you in New Paris south of Goshen! :p

My youngest boy (the one who helps me with the bikes) lives In Coldwater, OH (about 20 miles from me) and he's got the CX500 and drives it everyday, and just loves the thing. It IS a nice bike that Ive even grown to admire . Just cant ride the dang thing!LOL :lol: :lol: They are sure SOLID bikes though WOW!

If you ever get over this way, or just wanna take a lil drive give me a shout and well meet up and Ill give ya the nickel tour!! :lol: :lol:

BTW, My son (the CX guy) has several parts yet for a CX that he got as a spare if you need anything let me know. He also posts over at this CX site ..
http://choppercharles.com/cs/forums/7/ShowForum.aspx
GREAT Site for CX's and he goes by "CX Dan" .

Great to meet ya Bud!! :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
134 Posts
i am a member there too under the nick roundman (i dont like change), i've had my gl500 for many years and now have 52,000 miles on it without anything major wrong, had a stator go bad. I know with that many miles soon something will give but i have a spare motor so i aint too worried. thanks for the offer

1 - 8 of 8 Posts