Honda Twins banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Merry Christmas! I just got home from Afghanistan and decided to get another bike. I've had several CL 350's, KZ 440 and a CB450T.

I just picked up a '78 CB400T. It appeared to be in pretty good shape but was not running when purchased. Got it all cleaned up and got it started. I noticed some idle issues and a few odd noises from the top-end. I pulled the cam cover off to adjust the valves and noticed the cam was flopping around! The good news is that the plugs look great. The bad news is I need a new head!

Thanks for this great forum!

Paul

Attachments

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Welcome, Paul from Texas, and we honor your service to your country (mass salute).
Couple of other guys here from your area, they'll check in.

I have a complete '79 CB400T2 engine in my shop - only 3,000 miles on it. It would fit right in your frame.
Got a gas tank too.
Of course, you're 1,000 miles away, so....

Someone gave me the bike and I took the front end and rear wheel - recognize them??

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I also wanna say I appreciate your service to our country.. Welcome home and welcome aboard!! :D

We're glad to have ya..

Is that bike an automatic??

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
659 Posts
ROLL TIDE !!!

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Welcome aboard and thanks from a 30 year vet. :D

Nice bike! Always glad to see another 400 come along (we're gaining on
you guys :lol: )

Parts for the 400 are pretty common on e-bay but they're a bit more
expensive than the 350 stuff and some sellers are downright nuts! :evil:

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
With a name like Thralldad you must live in Thrall, TX just up the road from me in in Georgetown, TX. Let me know if I can help you with anything.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes sir! I was in Georgetown a few days ago. Any cycle salvage places close by?

Bird,the bike is a 5 speed.

JT; I've been doing Army stuff since the Carter administration!

Merry Christmas all!

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
thralldad said:
Yes sir! I was in Georgetown a few days ago. Any cycle salvage places close by?
None that I'm aware of. In fact, I don't know of any cycle salvage places at all in the Austin area.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
thralldad said:
I've been doing Army stuff since the Carter administration!
We've got quite an overlap! I started in 67 under Lyndon Johnson, retired in 97.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Welcome, and if you have spent any time at Ft. Hood then you may know my uncle sgt maj Macalik.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I finally picked up a parts bike. The bike was completely disassembled and all the bits bagged and organized. The engine appears to have about 8300 miles on it all all the components are in better condition than what's on my bike! There was even a custom cafe type seat included. I'll be working on it soon and I'll post updates.
Cheers!
Paul

1 - 13 of 13 Posts