Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A long time ago I picked up a craftsman timing gun from Sears just because it was dirt cheap on clearance.

I might mess around with it and check out the timing on the CB360, but after looking in the box the "Instruction Manual" was not included!
How do I use it, step by step?

·
Registered
608 Posts
the flat black thing goes over the sparkplug wire,, the red clamp goes to battery plus, the black to battery ground, the multi plug goes into the bottom of the gun, start engine and pull trigger on gun every time the cylinder fires the gun will flash... since you will be aiming at a open side case oil mist is possible cover the nose of the gun with clear plastic bag to keep oil out of the gun, switch the flat black clamp to other sparkplug wire to check other cylinder .... some times those plug wire clamps are marked as to which way it is supposed to face toward sparkplug if doesn't seem to pick up the pulse signal right turn the flat black clamp so the other flat side faces spark plug

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
One thing to note that confuses some people...

These guns just need 12vdc. So when I'm working on my 6v bikes, I'll hook the timing light up to my car battery and then hook the plug lead up to my scooter or motorcycle so I can time it. The light doesn't need to be hooked up to the battery of the vehicle you're testing.

I use my timing light to find bad plug wires on cars all the time. You can quickly clip the pickup onto each wire one by one and watch the strobe for missing or erratic performance.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sweet! Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Be sure to set the knob on the back of the gun to zero degrees-it will only work with the stock timing marks with that knob at zero.
You'll drive yourself nuts with it otherwise......

·
Registered
163 Posts
Thanks for answering the question I was GONNA ask. Will oil be pumped out with the magneto cover removed? New question: Does the timing with the light need to be done at a certain RPM?

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
cl450nut said:
Thanks for answering the question I was GONNA ask. Will oil be pumped out with the magneto cover removed? New question: Does the timing with the light need to be done at a certain RPM?
Tip the bike over on the right using a jackstand or something under the foot peg.

The timing should be done at idle so the advancer has not started to kick in which will give erroneous results.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts