Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For my '71 CB350 K3 restomod project I am redoing the seat with new foam and a new cover. The seat pan that was on the bike when I got was not correct for a K3 so I found a used seat on eBay. The pan was was badly rusted under the old foam. Rusted to the extent that you could see pinholes in the metal when holding it up the light. I repaired the pan by doing an Evaporust treatment and then covering the top of the pan with two layers of fiberglass cloth and resin. The result was a very sturdy pan. The problem I am facing is probably typical of these old seat pans, several of the small sharp tabs that are used to hold the seat cover were so rusted they were missing or broke off when tho old cover was removed. What I am looking for are suggestions on how to adequately secure the new seat cover in the areas where the tabs are missing. I expect to use contact cement in these areas but I believe that I also need some type mechanical fastening. Any ideas?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I use a high temp, waterproof contact glue. Comes in a can with a brush inside the lid. Brush on medium to thin on both sides (pan and vinyl), let dry till tacky, then pull and press. Hold for 60 seconds with firm pressure. Only get 1 chance or you have to go back to step 1. If fiberglass is involved, I've had to rough up the entire area I plan to glue. If it's too smooth the glue has nothing to grab. Best tip is not to put glue anywhere on the top or sides of the cover, only where the glue meets glue under the pan. Ic you have some tabs, use both where you can. Be sure to show us your work!
I use Cleartite h.h.r. contact cement
I have used pop rivets plenty of times, if you're a glutton for punishment and feel the need for more ...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for information, Trace. I will go with the Clear-tite. I sounds like great stuff (for industrial use only is always a good sign). There is no fiberglass or resin on the underside of the pan so I should get a decent bond. I understand what you mean about the pop rivets. It was going to be a last resort choice. I still have the original chrome trim pieces for the seat but they are not very straight and reattaching them looks like a problem also. I am considering using flexible chrome trim (door edge trim) around the lower edge of seat for protection and a little extra grip on the seat cover. I will post pics when the seat is finished.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
You can always pop rivet or solder on some upholstery tack strip. Upholstery Tack Strip - 5 Pack

I took a look and this store has locations in and around Dallas.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts