Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Red Dragon is running and has a registration and a plate after sitting 40 years. Now I have to get it road ready. I am looking at period turn signals and how to mount them. All help appreciated. thanks Jim

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
This was a 1965 Bomber on eBay a couple of months ago. It has period style “winkers”. It also has the smooth side covers mentioned in your other discussion. Do you have the turn signal switch on your right control?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
12oz: Thanks I will look it up. I have also seen turn signals that look like those that are on later Hondas mounted on a CB450 Bomber. It was mentioned that they were a CB450 KO "D" kit No I do not have a turn signal switch-will have to get a later switch. thanks Jim

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
In all the images I can find, I don’t see any D kit 450 Hondas that have turn signals mounted. To be period correct for the US a Bomber would not have had any turn signals. Then again you have a Red Dragon which is a unicorn anyway so who is to say what is “correct”. If you look at the Maynard Ferguson Riding High album cover (documentation of a Red Dragon) you will see that bike has no turn signals.
It has been my understanding that the only K0 450s to have turn signals were from the Japanese domestic market or other European countries that required them at the time of production. The cover of Cycle World September 1965 has a photo and test of an early 360 degree crank Japanese domestic model that has turn signals mounted.

The turn signals shown on this cover photo match what is on the bike in the Ebay listing and are what I consider to be “period correct”.
If you are only wanting to add the later, common style turn signals I can offer up these 2 images of an outfitted Bomber.

The mounts for the headlamp can be easily and cheaply purchased through 4into1 as long as the threads match that of the shell. The rear brackets may not be factory, I would have to dig them out and look closer at them which I can do if you are interested. Oddly, even though this bike had turn signals mounted it does not include a switch for controlling them. Period style right hand signal switches can be had but are difficult to source. Someone on this forum recently found one through CMSNL but it was pricey.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
12oz: thanks for the information. From what I know(and that is little)-but I am learning more-- turn signals were installed on US bikes by dealers-using what they had. So I can use a later bike switch with turn signals controls or a single switch to control the turn signals. The dealers would use a separate switch for turn signals. Trying to stick with used parts and period correct. Thanks for the images. Jim

·
Super Moderator
10,316 Posts
Honestly, even if you use a period-correct polished switch, IMO it will still look out of place unless you can come up with some of the Euro-style signals as shown above on the Cycle World cover. Since the bike was built and sold predominantly without signals, I can't imagine you having an inspection or road-worthiness issue without them - highly unlikely any state agency or law enforcement entity challenging you on the original equipment aspect of it. Since you said in your brief project log for the bike that you intended to get it running and as close to stock with all NOS or original parts, I'm surprised you want to add them to a bike that didn't come with them

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Distracted drivers --after 55 years riding motorcycles I like lights. I am going to look for the correct euro lights. It looks like it may take a while-- thanks Guys

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
Cross referencing

1 - 8 of 8 Posts