Honda Twins banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My horn stopped working. I have the manual but no luck seeing anything horn related in there. To my knowledge it's just a matter of the horn itself or the wiring. Battery is good, right now mentally prepping for the horn being the problem.
How do I know what horn will fit my bike? Right now just eyeballing for two prongs for the connection and 6V, anything else more technical to go off of?

(Right now looking for loudest horn under $50 if anyone knows of any to suggest)

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Connect a test light to determine if your horn circuit still works, connect horn directly to your battery to determine if your horn still works.

I was not aware that the CM400A had a 6 volt system.

·
Super Moderator
9,710 Posts
It's not. 6v horn should work really good for just a little bit.:eek:

Search for part number 38110-443-621. According to CMS it's common to 98 models.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I have had luck taking them apart and cleaning them on other bikes but dont know if you can do that to a cm 400a horn.

Bill

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have had luck taking them apart and cleaning them on other bikes but dont know if you can do that to a cm 400a horn.

Bill
you mean you are unsure if an aftermarket horn exists for the cm400a?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's not. 6v horn should work really good for just a little bit.:eek:

Search for part number 38110-443-621. According to CMS it's common to 98 models.
unsure where i got 6v from. Id rather not get the same horn if it can be helped, something louder if possible. If not louder since I'm assuming the voltage is limiting, at least cheaper than the price of a new honda brand horn. But I'm unsure how to search for a horn that's compatible with my cm400a. That part number seems to get me variations of the stock horn only.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I once had a free to me Mazda horn that I cut the bell off of and made a bracket to mount it on a cb77. It worked fine and if you didnt look real close it looked good.

Bill

·
Super Moderator
9,710 Posts
Pretty much any "upgrade" will require some degree of fabrication. Most likely as simple as drilling a few holes in a piece of metal and bending it to make stuff fit.

If you search for "motorcycle horn" you will find many sources, here's just an example:

https://www.jpcycles.com/motorcycle-horns

Here's a possible candidate:

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/360-661/wolo-full-blast-low-note-horn

If the description does not include a decible rating it likely won't make you happy. 90 db is loud enough to require hearing protection over extended periods, likely anything above that could fit your needs.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
https://www.jpcycles.com/product/360-661/wolo-full-blast-low-note-horn

If the description does not include a decible rating it likely won't make you happy. 90 db is loud enough to require hearing protection over extended periods, likely anything above that could fit your needs.
This horn looks great to me, is this an example of one that will need a custom mounting bracket? Also, I think one of my core questions is voltage, this one is 12V- that's ok for my bike, but a 6V would be bad?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Voltage is how much electrical potential is required to get current to flow, so a 6V horn requires less electrical potential than a 12V horn. This means you can power a 6V horn with a 12V system, although you can probably see it's overkill. It will still work but might do weird stuff like be much higher in pitch or louder or last for less time, it's hard to say. If you're buying one just get a 12V for simplicity.

Also, making a mounting bracket is quite easy and most aftermarket horns probably will need one. You might need a drill and one of hacksaw/grinder/dremel, and if you really get into it a vice and hammer would be very useful for making bends. I don't have any scrap metal laying around so I just walked around the hardware until I saw something for ~ 1$ that looked like it would work. This is your chance to express your creative side :)

·
Super Moderator
22,743 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do you want to replace the horn, or just get it working again? Mine stopped working and I tweaked the adjustment bolt a little bit and got it working again. You have to back off the set nut and then you can use a screwdriver to turn the bolt in and out. After a little hunting, I was able to get noise out of it, and with some additional adjustments, got the sound back to where it should be.

·
Registered
221 Posts
when I bought my 82 450 nighthawk the horn did not work, bought one off ebay from a salvage yard, it also did not work, told them to send me any honda horn with the same electric connections and mount, don`t know what they sent me, but it works great

1 - 16 of 16 Posts