Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey.

I am trying to free the brake caliper of a CB450k4, in which the fluid dried up over the years.

In order to get the pad out, i had to drill and tap into the metal on the pad itself for getting a hold on it, it did not release with any real grace...

Now i am confronted with a seized piston sitting in a can of parts cleaner...

I would like to think that if i put it in the proper fluid, heated and quenched it someway, it should at least budge so that i can pump it out with the master cylinder. But I have never done this before so I don't know any real magic tricks.

Also, the master cylinder is nonfunctional at the moment.

The piston moves and makes a squishy noise with new fluid in the reservoir, and drops of red fluid drip sparingly from where the hose attaches.

I cannot figure, for the life of me, how to remove the piston mechanisms from the master cylinder casting?

Thank you,
-Ian

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
You might try the judicious application of air pressure. Be aware that if this works you may be in the same room with a missile. OK, since it is unguided it is technically a rocket but if it hits you you're not going to care about the technicality. Just make sure the children and pets are on the other side of a substantial wall and proceed prudently.

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Fill it with brake fluid (bleeder open) Shut bleeder, aim down in a pan to catch the fluid and pump it out.... Still possibly an explosive exit from caliper and definately messy.....Be warned... Children and pets are NOT allowed anywhere close....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
alright.

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorc ... k4/o/m9139

i believe i am working with one of these master cylinders.

right now i can't figure out for the life of me how to get it apart? the clymer manual tells me i have to remove a circlip but i cannot find it. i've been looking on the brake lever side but it just dawned on me, could it be on the hose side?

i could check the part but i'm far away from it. i'm considering erasing this post, however, in case its something else...

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
It's on the lever side....deep in.....
I never rebuild masters anymore as a new aftermarket one only costs about $15 more than a kit.....and is a lot safer solution......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts