Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to get the black mount for the brake light and license plate off of my bike so that I can clean it up and bend it back into shape so it'll fit my shiny new collectors plate <3

The problem is I can't figure out how to get it apart. The mount is off the fender, and the light housing is off the mount, but it's all strung together by the wiring for the brake light. I took the red cover off, and the light bulb out of the housing. But it doesn't seem like it comes apart any further? Checked the manual and youtube and didn't find anything on this particular subject.

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
It may vary according to model.

Here's my CB174K4, with rear hinged seat.

20170919_083925.jpg

And my CL175K7, with side hinged seat, rear light mounting bolts accessible from top side.

DSCF1903.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
On the K4, the wiring runs through a channel on top of the mudguard (fender).

The green earth (ground) wire is attached to the light unit by a spade connector, and can be unplugged. The other two wires have to be threaded through the tunnel on top of the mudguard. No need to remove recover from light. I've shrink wrapped my wiring to tidy it up a bit.

20170919_085138.jpg

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the helpful pics guys. Problem isn't getting the bracket that holds the light on the fender off of the fender, its disassembling the whole thing so that I can slide the wire through it all in order to separate the bracket from the bike.

My problem is that the red piece (piece that is preventing me from pull the light bulb socket and wires out) is sandwiched between the blue pieces. I've taken all the bolts out, there's only a rubber vibration pad left to remove (but I left it because it looked hard to get back into place.)
IMG_4195_1506590879791.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
If you unplug the cables at the other end, near to the battery etc, you can then pull them out through the tunnel on top of the mudguard.

The brake light and running light wires are permanently attached inside the light assembly, can't see the need to take that apart.

Reactions: 83XLX

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, what a job. Guess I'll just refurbish the mount with it all dangling together then. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
Wow, what a job. Guess I'll just refurbish the mount with it all dangling together then. Thanks!
Seriously ? About as challenging as fitting new laces to a pair of walking boots ...

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, All I need to do is run a damp rag over it to clean the dust off. and bend on of the flanges a bit so its in plane with the other and will hold the license plate straight. I'll probably put off taking it all the way off until I (possibly) get a new rear fender (current one has a cosmetic crack).

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm curious how you get anything apart on these bikes. I apologize but this is my first time taking apart a stock bike where "just cut it up" isn't an option.

So I ordered some new handlebars and I need to take the old ones off (bent). I take apart the controls and the wires are routed through the bars. So, I follow the wire and it goes inside the headlight. Ok, I take off the blinkers to get access to the headlight. But then, The blinkers are connected to the headlight through the fork ears. I followed the main cluster of wires coming from the headlight and it goes down into the frame and splits into 2-3 smaller clusters. As far as I can tell, I can only separate the blinkers from the headlight housing if I either pull all the wiring out of the front half of the bike, or I cut something. There has to be a better way?

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
That cluster is called the loom, in the rats nest in the headlight bucket there should be all the plugs to unplug the various Eletrical components.
The indicators/blinkers should be a light blue and an orange wire, they connect and run to the indicator lolight in the tach.
Your bike wasnt put togeather by magic, dont need to cut anything, just pull it apart in the opposite order it was put together

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
Shakes head in despair ...

EDIT Feeling more helpful after coffee.

Picture below is a CLK7, but the principle is the same. You disconnect the wires from the switchgear inside the headlamp shell FIRST, then remove the handlebars as a complete assembly. You only need to unplug the switch gear wires, trace the cables where they enter the back of the had lamp shell.

Obviously, clutch, brake and throttle cables, front brake light switch if fitted, also have to come off.

Think of the headlight shell as a junction box where the main loom on the bikes frame meets the looms from the switches, head lamp, indicators, and wiring to the instrument lights.

k7switch.JPG

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your bike wasnt put togeather by magic,
you sure? this is Honda we're talking about.

Anyways, I figured there were some plugs in the headlight bucket that'd make it easier to get some of this stuff apart. Seems like the natural place to hide that. However, I can't see to get any access to the back of the headlight because I can't pull it away from the yoke, or rotate it because of the blinkers.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just wasn't able to get access to the back of the headlight at all when I tried last night, since I couldn't rotate the light up or down to look at the back (because of tension from wires going the frame). And I couldn't move it away from the frame because or wires going through the fork ears to the blinkers.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ah! So I can take the headlight apart from the front and get to the plugs? Awesome, that makes sense.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hello,

If thread title is not a mistake, rear brake light is connected to the hearness close to the battery. It goes throug the rubber bushing below fender and goes up to the battery compartment close to the fuse.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The thread had originally been about the brake light but it was really more a general question about how to get things apart and dealing with the wiring. The good news is I was able to get the head light off...

IMG_5390.jpg

The bad news is I can't get the right fork out because the right fork ear was crimped on in what I presume was a crash... I can't pull the fork out or rotate it all because it now has an irregular non-circular profile. I'm currently considering using a hacksaw to get the fork ear off so I can slide the fork tube out of the yoke. (planning to buy new forks anyways because they are bent)

IMG_5389.jpg

1 - 20 of 26 Posts