Honda Twins banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My old intake manifolds had a junked up gasket surface, and so I went at the first with a razor blade, cleaning it up down to the metal. Now I wonder if i wasn't supposed to do that. So I have one with exposed metal, another with a rough old gasket surface. I don't think I can take the gasket off of it without removing the rubber too. How do you clean off the old gaskets on these things? I have two new replacement gaskets to use.

Here's a picture of what I am talking about. This brand new intake from Common Motors has a rubber bottom already (...it appears that's what I scrapped off):

rubber bottom.jpg

This new manifold has a metal bottom (Dime City Cycles). if I cut mine down so it looks like this and use a gasket on it will that work?

metal.jpg

·
Registered
555 Posts
I've only ever seen rubber bottomed, can't speak to DCC's set there. I don't think metal is any worse a sealing surface, but I'm wondering if you've altered the total length of the intake boot (e.g., if your shaved one ends up 2 mm shorter, your carbs will be kicked at an angle to seat fully in the boot - they bottom out and pop into a slot, there's no wiggle room). Carbs on these things are finicky enough without altering the distance to the intake port, even if it comes out level. I've had bad luck with cheapo intake boots off fleabay (in that they turned inside out when the engine backfired), but you can get em for $20 there or $40 at Common Motor. You'll need the gasket either way though, with or without a rubber bottom. One upside is that you'll know right away if it's working - spray the boots with WD-40 while the bike's running, and if the idle changes or it stumbles, you've got a leak and they need to be replaced.

Other, side though - if your intake boots are old enough that they're glued to the gaskets, you might just want to replace them anyway. These things get microcracks, especially when they warm up, that'll mess with your A/F mixture and make the bike run like crap.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts