Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to shorten the front fender on my CB400 but I would like to retain the factory edge so it does not look crappy like most chopped fenders do. It is a chrome fender and it will remain chromed.I looked at several threads but PB took all the photos so that ws not much help. So is this do-able???

·
Registered
247 Posts
Probably not great and you would still have the bare metal cut edge rusting on you. Maybe better to set the chrome fender on the shelf and experiment with a painted steel one.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I chopped one once and the chrome stuck up to the edge good. I just filed it smooth and left it. Not too bad. I thought about hammering a wire edge, but then it'd definatly need some clean up. Agreed a painted part would make it much more doable. But a real pro may be able to pull it off.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only fender I have trimmed was a painted one that I had chromed later.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Not sure if this will work, but is it possible to remove the mounts, rotate the fender to shorten the front then cut the back only? That would let you keep the factory profile on the front where you would notice it most. Not sure if this fender has the fork indentations or not, that might complicate things, then you will have those extra holes where the mound used to be... guess there's no perfect solution.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I may have a spare fender or two so if I screw up it won't be that bad.
Sliding the fender back on the mounting and cutting the rear part may work.
Cut out the center of the fender to save the finished ends and join the pieces
under the fork brace to hide some of it????

Reactions: Lefty

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thinking out loud now, remove the mounting bracket/fork brace, cut out the center of the fender
to get the length you want, overlap the pieces several inches, 3 to 5, reassemble fender and bracket,
maybe add some stainless steel bolts as needed,might work. Someone try this and report how it works???
Got an old rough fender to experiment with??? Some say I am cheap I call it thrifty.

Reactions: Lefty and Paul F
1 - 10 of 10 Posts