Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found out my 1980 CM400E has a bad crank bearing after tearing the top end off again to try and diagnose. Should I buy and install a new crank, buy and install a new engine, or something else? Does anyone have a crankshaft they'll part with? Or a bottom end? Is it an excessive amount of work to put a new crank in?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Find a new crank?? unlikely at any price
Find a used engine that isn't screwed up too - unlikely
Find a used crank on EBay or something that's good - possible.
It's no more work than doing the top end.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
New was bad wording- I meant an ebay replacement. I am a little intimidated by the number of parts in the crankcase, which is why I inquired about the work load, though I suppose it would be a good learning experience/winter project.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Redoing the bottom end is not that hard but try to find a bottom end with a crank. The lower end crank and rod bearings are matched by the number on the lower case and the letter on the crank. If just replacing the crank match the number on the case with the letter on the crank. CMS has a chart that will tell which bearings to use. Also the FSM. LDR knows a lot more about this than I do so you might contact him if any questions.

Bill

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's good to know- So Clymer and the Factory manual have charts somewhere then that can help with that?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts