Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the process of removing the old engine gaskets from my 175, I left some small nicks in the surface. Ideally, the gaskets would be fitting between mirror-smooth surfaces, but will it hurt for there to be some very marginal imperfections? After all, aren't gaskets made out of flexible materials for this very reason? Also, if I polish them out somehow(sandpaper?) do I then need to lap the surfaces?

I'm good at having questions :D

·
Sensei
27,163 Posts
It would depend on the "nick" ....one parallel to the centerline of the sealing surface is less of a problem that one that provides a "channel" across the sealing surface...Pressure contained is also an item to consider...... When in doubt, I have used "Indian Head" gasket shellac or "Kopper Kote".....But I prefer dry gasketing.....It's a judgement call.....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, to be honest, it's more a series of nicks. I was stupid and used a wire wheel a bit too aggressively(though using a wire wheel at all is probably using one too aggressively in this instance :mrgreen: ). The upside is that the marks run lengthwise along the surface, so it shouldn't be able to create an oil passage on its own. I'll probably use a liquid sealant of some sort along with the normal gasket, just to be safe.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Yamaha Bond

1 - 5 of 5 Posts