Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started experiencing some engine issues on a ride yesterday. Was losing power in 3rd or 4th on the climbs. Also, the engine died at a stop a few times and then wouldn’t come off idle to get going again.

I pulled apart my carbs and found that one of the needle slides was sticking. So, time for a cleanup. But I was wondering: Is it normal to require this service after about 3 months and 600 miles of riding?

Background: 1975 CL360; 747a carbs; Common Motor angled cone filters. Riding mostly pavement with a bit of dirt here and there. But they are dusty and dry dirt roads. Running 89 octane gas.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
I like to clean annually at the start of the riding season. This is especially important with the 10% Ethanol fuel widely in use today. Gummed up carbs after 3 months of riding seems very odd.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I was suspicious too. Maybe those cone filters aren’t doing enough to keep out dust? I didn’t do anything to clean or seal the tank but it was essentially rust free when I began reviving this bike. I do have inline gas filters to both carbs.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Has it sat for any length of time? I've had e10 trouble with sitting even a couple months.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My bike (CL360) stands for approx 6 months in our long Welsh winter then used for 6 months spring / summer, bike kept with a half tank of fuel (sta-bil additive also in tank) during layoff. Kept in a very well ventilated shed. Never had a carb or fuel problem. Never gets particularly hot where I live (coast) or cold either.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Turns out the problem was really with the coils. Replaced those and the condenser and it runs better than ever! Some wise person on this forum once told me that most problems on 360s are electrical... even engine problems!

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
If you prep your bike for winter storage you won't need to rebuild/clean the carbs.
I shut off my fuel, drain the carbs, plus add Stabil to the tank. Then when the riding season starts I would add Seafoam to the fuel for the first couple tanks just to make sure the carbs get a nice flush.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts