Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to get this engine back to right again after having to replace the head for those mushroomed valves. I replaced the timing chain with a 92 link DID chain. Is that too many links? How many links are supposed to be in a 360 timing chain?

I ask because I had timing set perfectly, then after barely running it it would not start. I just got around to checking the timing and its like WAYYYYYY off on both sides. Points had been tightened down too. and the points had not rotated or shifted. I suspect either the chain I bought has too many links or somehow I managed to have the chain jump. Or both if it had too many links.

GRRRR. looks like I'm tearing it completely apart yet again! Synthetic oil companies are going to love me..... at the rate I keep having to pitch oil.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
A loose chain won't affect the points adjustment. Did you put it together dry, and lose the camshaft bearing in the end cover?

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
A loose chain won't affect the points adjustment. Did you put it together dry, and lose the camshaft bearing in the end cover?
Number of links only affects tightness of the chain. I agree with Mike, something else is wrong.....check cam bearings...

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found it. The timeing was WAYYYY off. But not because of the chain. That darn mechanical advancer somehow spun its bolt loose and was not in the notch on the cam. Put it on with locktight. Now it starts. Tomorrow the carb adjustments!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK. So I got it all back together. Tappets are spot on, timing is balls on perfect.

Fresh set of spark plugs. Charged brand new battery. (yuwasa)

Set the screws out to 1/12 turns.

Started it up and let it warm up. It was doing a lot of backfiring into the exhausts and carbs. That is new.

So I put my ports on and hooked up the sync gauge. So I got the sync gauge calibrated first.

IMG_2336.jpg

Set the idle to 1200 rmp. Then set the sync as close to perfect as I could get.

IMG_2338.jpg

Turned each side screw in and out to the point of maximum RPM. Still backfiring at times.

Took her out for a 30 minute ride. I was wondering if the backfiring could be from having gas in the pipes form all the cranking and choke back when I had the timing problem. I figured the 30 minute ride should burn up anything in the cylinders and clear out the exhaust pipes. Runs GREAT under full throttle, no hesitation, skips, backfires, etc. But I noticed by the time I started getting back close to home, it would not hold idle reliably without conking out. And it would backfire a bit on deceleration sometimes. I pulled the plugs when I got home. Looks a bit rich? Pretty sooty! Any ideas on why it would be backfiring so much?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok. So to make this even more interesting. I pulled the timing covers off and checked the timing statically. Light comes on at the LF and F marks exactly. So I hooked up my strobe timing gun and strobed it and it shows the at 1200 rpm the timing as being half advanced? On both sides? I'm trying to figure out if my timing light is off? Or if my timing advance device is malfunctioning.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts