Honda Twins banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just agreed to buy a rough Black Bomber that I found in town and the vin is 10008xxx (!) and it got me thinking, "how many cb450s were built and how many were built each year?" Anybody know? My searching of the interwebs hasn't brought up any good info.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
ejand22 said:
I've just agreed to buy a rough Black Bomber that I found in town and the vin is 10008xxx (!) and it got me thinking, "how many cb450s were built and how many were built each year?" Anybody know? My searching of the interwebs hasn't brought up any good info.
I have been looking for another bike and that is my question for a lot of different years and models. It would give the person looking a way to balance availability to rarity of a particular model.

There has got to be some sales numbers out there somewhere.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I have had personal communication from Honda that ALL sales figures are proprietary info, even on 50 year old models.

I've never seen any really substantiated numbers anywhere...........

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, that's unfortunate! So we will never really know how many Black Bombers were produced? Huh.

I just realized that I posted this in the wrong forum. Can a moderator move this to the 450 forum? Sorry.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Not sure if their 'serial' numbers are actually consecutive. If so, then a very non scientific way of estimating them would be to just have people here post the year and model and the serial number to the nearest 100. To the nearest 100 would be because some folks do not want to have their actual numbers published but it would still put us to the point where we can say there are 'at least' this many. It can be either the engine number or the frame number to be close. With this site and a few others that I visit, I think we can get a pretty good representation in a fairly short time. I will track this with a spreadsheet and report the results. Does anyone see any reason why this would work?

For example. I have a 1976 CB360T. Serial numbers started at CB360T-2200001 based on Motorera.com.

My engine is CB360E-22085XX and the frame is CB360-22085YY

The engine is the higher number by almost 60 digits. If the assumption is that they started the engines and the frames at 00001 is it safe to assume that there were at least 85XX CB360's built that year?

If this makes sense I will start this spreadsheet for all Honda's. All that I ask is that you send me the serial number with the last two digits XX'd out on the engine and frame. Really all that would be needed would be the higher of the two numbers. This also goes for any old frames or engines that you have laying around.

From what I have read the reason for the mismatch on engine and frame numbers is because if they were assembling 100 bikes in a day they grabbed the next 100 frames and engines and put them together randomly.

If we have just one clearinghouse of information and the above assumptions are correct, we can get some pretty good numbers.

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
tbpmusic said:
I have had personal communication from Honda that ALL sales figures are proprietary info, even on 50 year old models.
Over on the KZ650 I'm on we ran into the same roadblock with Kawasaki, we were hoping to gather the number of each type of 650, but they wouldn't divulge any kind of info like that. Have to say I don't understand why, but must be some reason. :?

·
Registered
9 Posts
"how many cb450s were built and how many were built each year?" Anybody know? My searching of the interwebs hasn't brought up any good info.
I don't know the exact number but I can help by adding that I personally have seen serial number CB450-1030xxx so there has been at least 30,000 Black Bomber bikes built.

Hope this helps,
Jim

·
Registered
23 Posts
CB450-1019093, CB450E-6022036 (73 engine)
CB450-1005607, CB450E-1003922
CB450-1016852, CB450E-1015970
CL450-5004451, CL450E-5004499

1 - 12 of 12 Posts