Honda Twins banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I ask, I know the answer is somewhere here but I couldn't find it by searching, my apologies.

I rebuilt the top end on my '76 360. Honed only and new rings, same pistons. Installed rings with a coat of oil. How long or how many miles should it be until the smoke stops? My Dad followed me tonight for a bit and said the right side exhaust smokes a little when I lay into it (don't worry, I'm going easy on the new top end). I've ridden it less than 10 miles and it hasn't idled much. I'm not worried yet, just curious.

P.S. The little pup runs like a scalded dog now.

Thanks
Ben

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Ben, that would be hard to say.... Current theory is to put them in dry so the rings seat (are worn ) by the hone crosshatching and "fit" perfectly.... I Thrash them right from the git-go.... Hopefully the oil film will burn off and allow seating before the cylinders and rings get "glazed".... As to how long.... anybodys' guess....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Steve. I guess I'll just run it and see what happens. I've been so excited that its finally running right that I haven't even checked the compression yet. Its number one on the list.

Thanks again,
Ben

1 - 3 of 3 Posts