Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on my 1971 cb175 barn find, the clutch will not disengage, when I pull the lever, the lever down by the front sprocket moves up and down but the rod that goes thru the rear of the engine to the clutch does not move, I have tried to adjust it but no luck. should the rod move back and forth? how do I fix it? is it stripped?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the right side crankcase off, so I will take the clutch apart and see if its rusted, also want to check the condition of the clutch plates.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
On the clutch adjuster see if the ball bearing is in between the clutch thread piece and the clutch rod. If the ball is missing the clutch rod wont move when the lever is pulled.

Bill

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On the clutch adjuster see if the ball bearing is in between the clutch thread piece and the clutch rod. If the ball is missing the clutch rod wont move when the lever is pulled.

Bill
how do I check for a missing ball bearing?

·
Registered
582 Posts
When you remove the left hand side cover, the clutch rod actuator arm can be removed/disengaged from the side cover. Then you look down inside and there is a ball bearing. It's about 5/8" in diameter and goes between the actuator and the clutch rod. so if it's missing you're missing out on 5/8" of clutch action.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks, but clutch looks great, bearing is present and moves freely, turns out the clutch lever is not only for a different bike, but its a brake lever turned upside down. also the cable is way out of adjustment. original lever on order. see what happens.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts