Honda Twins banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wanting to do my exhaust pipes in a glossy black high temp paint, but the auto stores only have flat. The VHT paints they had are rated for something like 1000 degrees but is that for cars, or do motorcycles get that hot too? I know that most of the motor paints can handle temperatures up to 500 degrees.

Would the exhaust pipes on a CB350 get hotter then 500 degrees?

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Never actually measured the temp, but the engine paint will burn off faster than the "header paint"........ Even "header paint" will occaisionally need "refreshed".....

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
On the Chevy diesel that I sold a few months ago I had an EGT guage that was positioned about 3 inches from the exhaust port and I regularly say 1100 - 1300 deg temps. I used to have an airplane with an old 6 cylinder Lycoming 0-435 and I used to lean the engine for best fuel economy at about 1150 deg based on the EGT guage.

I have a Yamaha YZ426F MX Bike that has an exhaust pipe that will glow red at idle after a few minutes (normal for this bike) so I guess it has to be getting very hot.

The double wall pipe on my CL350 probably runs a lot cooler than that but it has still turned blue from the heat.

If it's affordable, the best best might be some sort of ceramic exhaust coating.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
WOZERD said:
This may not help but I can attest they get hot enough to burn a big blister on your forehead!

[email protected]@@@####

I'm not even gonna ask......

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Dayumn!

Sounds like a Homer donut to me... :mrgreen: But, only if it was something stupid, instead of a 'normal' accident, in which case - I hope you're OK. :)

I've never had any luck with header paint other than the flat black bar-b-cue grill paint from Home Depot. Any other rattle can I've tried (and I have a whole shelf of 'leftovers') will burn off for about the first 6".

Maybe a double-wall pipe runs cooler, I dunno, but I've never had any luck a'tall.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Seeing as how you asked-- :roll:
We were down in North Carolina. Fresh off a run down 176 and back, my friend wanted to see how far he had narrowed his chicken strips (we were on modern sport bikes-- he on an R6, me on an RC51). It was hotter than heck out. We were both sweating so much it was dripping off our chins. The activity of aggressive riding and the heat made it double worse. He bent over to look at his back tire and SSSSST! The sweat on his forehead boiled instantly. Had he not been sweating it would have been a little red spot but the instant boil, scalded him. Sympathizing with him, getting him a wet cloth, guiding him over to sit down and nurse his head, I decided to check how far I had gotten it over. I bent down to check my rear tire-------- SSSSSSST!

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
WOZERD said:
Seeing as how you asked-- :roll:
SSSSSSST!
Yeah, that's definitely Homer-worthy.
At least you didn't stick your tongue on it......Homer would do that, because it's shiny.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh, my, that's definitely Homer material. If it had been just you, just the once, maybe not...

But since your buddy just did the exact thing, and you even had to minister to him over it... :lol:

I'm glad I'VE never done anything like that, like reaching out bare-handed to steady the slightly unsteady piece of steel that I'm WELDING ON... :lol:

Safety first, y'know.

·
Registered
29 Posts
you need the 1000 degree plus vht header paint, the 500 degree engine paint will not work on the exhaust headers, i tried it because it was cheaper, well it burnt off, smoked and stunk like poo, and i ended up taking a wire brush to get what was left off, and bought the vht header paint the next day, it smokes a bit for the first couple of starts/idles but it should stop, it is just baking in per the manufactures instructions

the flat black pipes look wicked with the gloss black engine paint :D

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'm glad I'VE never done anything like that, like reaching out bare-handed to steady the slightly unsteady piece of steel that I'm WELDING ON... :lol:

Safety first, y'know.[/quote]

Really! Wow, Ive never done THAT! :roll:

But I did weld up a rail, pick up a grinder and grind the still glowing weld, and then proceeded to pick it up.......

The skin grew back amazingly enough after some time..........and after I stopped jumping around, and all my co-workers stopped laughing, a LOT, by the way, I finally did find some ice packs to help freeze the nerve endings so it would quit hurting.

That was a year ago, and I still hear about it from time to time.....Its amazing how some people just gotta remind you of your genius moments.....

·
Registered
19 Posts
the blue color on your pipes is a visual indicater of 500 degrees, from where the blue stops heading up the pipe to the engine is over 500 degrees thats why 500 degree engine paint burns off go with the 1000 degree paint & that shouldnt burn off

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
I found this on the net Hopefully no pipes will get this hot especially the double skinned 450 pipes although it can happen in some circumstances.

Colour Temperature [°C]
Black red (when viewed in dull light) 426 to 593
Very dark red 593 to 704
Dark red 704 to 814
Cherry red (lower critical point) 815 to 870 (critical point depends on carbon content of steel)
Light cherry red 871 to 981
Orange 981 to 1092
Yellow 1093 to 1258
Yellow white 1259 to 1314
White 1315+

·
Registered
1 Posts
In the motorcycle’s engine chamber, gasoline remains in compressed form. We know, at around 1600 degrees Fahrenheit, gasoline burns. So from this, we can estimate that the temperature inside the chamber remains around 1600 degrees F.
But in motorcycles with EGR or Exhaust Gas Recirculation, the temperature remains around 14-1600* F range.
To know this, you also need to know the reasons behind the exhaust pipe getting hot and other related factors- which we’ll be explaining in this article. motorcycle’s exhaust pipe temperature

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I used Rust-Oleum High Temp paint on my CB400 A. Good for 1500 degrees. Most of the small Hondas I have worked on never got over 350 degrees 2 inches from the cylinder head. Head temp and header temps close together will help tell you how close your carbs are synchronized.
Bill H

1 - 16 of 16 Posts