Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just sealed up my crankcase and am a little concerned with how difficult it is to turn the crankshaft by hand. It feels easier counterclockwise than clockwise and their also seems to be a sticky spot. Not that its impossible to turn or anything but possibly harder than when I took it off, any suggestions, did I goof?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
You don't say what kind of motor but on the 450 that thing should rotate nice and freely on those roller bearings. This assumes the clutch is not connected and trying to turn the transmission.

I think the 350 cranks are also roller bearings so it should be similar.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is a 360, its definitely not easy could something be binding? I guess I'll have to split the cases again to see. Arghhh

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I pulled the cases apart cleaned off hondabond, checked to see how crankshaft was turning fine, put the cases together dry no liquid gasket, shaft turns fine. Great lets try this again, I applied hondabond put cases together still going fine, I begin buttoning up the cases and as I torque them down crankshaft stops moving freely! Wont move! What could I be doing? What should I check?

·
Sensei
27,163 Posts
We will need to know if the top end is on....the pistons cam and valves do create "tight" spots in the rotation....

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With the crankshaft out of engine, both cases seat nicely when crankshaft is installed they do not, as I look inside I can see that the cam chain tensioner could be in the way?

Should the cam chain tensioner be pushed down beyond the clearance of the crankshaft? I pushed it good and snug and tightened tensioner bolt maybe not pushed far enough?

Any other thoughts?

·
Sensei
27,163 Posts
Are all the guide pins in their holes in the bearings?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes guide pins are seated. I pulled halves apart again to double check this. After various experiments I've found that the only way the cases actually seat properly is without the cam chain tensioner arm in place. It seems that this arm is putting too much pressure on cam chains sprocket on crankshaft and preventing crankshaft from turning.

What is the proper adjustment of this?

·
Sensei
27,163 Posts
The tensioner should NOT touch the crank gear... You will have to fully compress the spring and lock it away from the interference..... Make sure the "flat" on the adjuster pin is oriented correctly so the lock-bolt bears on it..... It will probably help to read the tensioner update Bill posted...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts